Mysterious Drip Trail - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mysterious Drip Trail within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Make sure to pick up Subaru "Super Coolant" it's blue. Mixing different types of coolant will shorten the service life ...

KHP
    Make sure to pick up Subaru "Super Coolant" it's blue. Mixing different types of coolant will shorten the service life of your coolant(the blue coolant supposed to be replaced every 100,000 miles compared to conventional 30,000 miles).

Also wait till your car cools (so first thing in the morning) before filling the expansion tank. If the tank is empty then fill from the top reservoir first(closest to the turbo) until full. Then fill expansion tank to full. check the expansion tank the following morning. If the coolant level is significantly lower than full then It's a possibility that there is a leak.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Keep an eye on it. If you have a leak and are under warranty, the date they are currently booking at the dealer should be a moot point. They should receive your car on flatbed and hand you the keys to a rental or loaner in an ideal world.
    I asked about leaving it and getting a loner and they currently dont have one. I will fill it today, put a cup under the car tonight. See what fills it(Hand check!! lol). If I see the level drop significantly I will push the 'ship harder tomorrow. I will follow up later. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I don't live in an ideal world though.
    who does?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post

who does?
    Me
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Make sure to pick up Subaru "Super Coolant" it's blue. Mixing different types of coolant will shorten the service life of your coolant(the blue coolant supposed to be replaced every 100,000 miles compared to conventional 30,000 miles).

Also wait till your car cools (so first thing in the morning) before filling the expansion tank. If the tank is empty then fill from the top reservoir first(closest to the turbo) until full. Then fill expansion tank to full. check the expansion tank the following morning. If the coolant level is significantly lower than full then It's a possibility that there is a leak.
    Im just going to get standard coolant for now, only bc if/when I take it in, then will replace it all and bc its here. But the rest I will do.
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Me
    how does one get there?
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

KHP
    Im just going to get standard coolant for now, only bc if/when I take it in, then will replace it all and bc its here. But the rest I will do.
    Good point. lol.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    how does one get there?
    Beer....good quality microbrew beer. Preferably that originated in Ft. Collins, CO
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you mean aftermarket coolant?But what if it isn't a coolant leak.Then you would have to drain all your coolant & refill with new yourself.

BTW I believe you will also need conditioner with super coolant.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Do you mean aftermarket coolant?But what if it isn't a coolant leak.Then you would have to drain all your coolant & refill with new yourself.

BTW I believe you will also need conditioner with super coolant.
    Also another good point. If he's just topping off then I don't think the conditioner is necessary.

Its up to the OP. Super coolant is expensive ~$25/gal. If it's not a coolant leak then he'll have to spend more to flush and refill the cooling system(Super Coolant + Conditioner). Otherwise if it is a coolant leak then the dealership will fix and refill it for him.
    Last edited by KHP; 10-25-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Conditioner? Do I have split ends?

The expansion tank was halfway below "low" and the top tank had a decent amt of fluid in there. I picked up gas station coolant bc its what was close and better than nothing (I assume).
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

KHP
    Have you filled it yet? I'm guessing it's below low when the engine is hot?

*EDIT*
    I'm starting to think that it may not be a coolant leak and it was just a coincidence that you were low on coolant to start with. You said the trail was greenish yellow? Is the contents of your cooling system now greenish yellow?
    Last edited by KHP; 10-25-2011 at 03:51 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Conditioner? Do I have split ends?
    Subaru Coolant & Coolant Conditioner
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Have you filled it yet? I'm guessing it's below low when the engine is hot?
    I filled it after driving slowly about 1/4 mile to the gas station. But I checked it before starting engine, after sitting all day, and it was still that low.

I got home, checked it, and it was about the same level. I put a cup under where I believe it is dripping, and I will check later tonight/tomorrow morning, once the engine cools again.
    Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Ok, heres the update:
    1. The car had been sitting on level ground for about 5 hours.
    2. I put a cup under the "drip" and all I got was 2 drips (see picture below)
    3. The plastic bit in front of the transmission is wet, could be from my crappy job pouring in the coolant and it splashed while driving (see other picture below: the red circles this wet spot, the arrow is where I think it finally drips from)
    4. The coolant level has settled about 3/4-1" in the expansion tank.
    5. My oil level is fine, my windshield washer fluid is low (but I haven't filled it in a while)

Whatdya think?

Zach

Stink eye Mob #287

Check trans fluid level? .. where that's wet makes me wonder if its trans fluid. Its the right color.. what does the drip smell like? If its watery and sweet smelling its coolant... if its kinda thick/oily, it might be gear oil and will have a very pungent odor
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast