Major Tranny Issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Major Tranny Issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well something big is wrong with my 5spd tranny (2007 WRX w/ PPG gearset). I noticed the other day driving ...

Major Tranny Issue

Well something big is wrong with my 5spd tranny (2007 WRX w/ PPG gearset). I noticed the other day driving home from work that it was getting harder to shift. By the time I got home the car would not go into 1st gear from a stop (couldn't get the shifter to move at all, unless the car was rolling). 2nd thru 5th go into gear but very tough. Reverse gear is impossible to engage as well.

I can still drive it starting in 2nd, but I'm leaving it in the garage until I can have it looked at.

I hear no grinding or any unusual noises. I have about 10K on a Southbend Stage 3 clutch (when I had the PPGs installed). Never liked the clutch and it hasn't really been performing well lately (shuddering in first, but haven't noticed any slipping in the higher gears).

I'm thinking bad clutch or bent shifter fork (stock)...

Thoughts?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the clutch fluid ok?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    1st and reverse use the same shifter fork if I remember correctly. No grinding, or other problems, and that'd be my first guess.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

without any odd noises ... dunno man but I'm really curious to see what is actually wrong with it. Makes me wonder if the pilot bearing has gone bad and the trans is still spinning when clutch is disengaged. Anything internal to the trans should make noise.. hmm.. Keep us posted.

OH, off topic but How's your better half?? We haven't heard from ya in a long time.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

i had the same prob, but not in my wrx. i have an s-10 pickup that the pilot bearing was going out, and made it really hard to put into gears... didnt make any unusual noises at first. til i got it to the shop and had the mechanic come out to check it... pushed the clutch pedal in and could hear some nasty stuff.

i first had thought maybe the clutch fluid was bad and dirty and maybe had gummed up the slave cylinder. Maybe flush it and put new fluid. could help. if you do alot of high rev shifts, it will deposit clutch disk dust into your fluid, making it nasty black,

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1997 S-10 zr2- work/quad hauler
    1991 crx si-r- all motor B16
    1989 crx si- beater

"It looks like Scarface sneezed on you car!"

The clutch fluid seems ok. It's over the max line, but not dirty.

I should have paid extra for the PPG forks, if that is it. I could believe the pilot bearing could be an issue because the clutch install never seemed right. Also Meredith is doing well. Thx
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The TOB shouldn't cause massive problems with just two gears though, it would make it universally hard for all gears to go in given the same conditions. My money is on bent fork as well.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    1st and reverse use the same shifter fork if I remember correctly. No grinding, or other problems, and that'd be my first guess.
    I'm still sticking with this
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I should have paid extra for the PPG forks, if that is it. I could believe the pilot bearing could be an issue because the clutch install never seemed right. Also Meredith is doing well. Thx
    Oohh.. didn't know you didn't upgrade the forks. Dunno could be that (I dont know enough about subaru trans specifically to nail it down) .. But I've had pilot bearings (not same as throw out bearing) go bad on other vehicles and cause shifting issues in 1st and reverse..

Really wont know till its out of the car and torn down. Pav I'm hoping there was some sort of build warranty?
    Good to hear the wife is doing well!!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

So looking at PPG shift forks I noticed the forks come 1/2, 3/4, and 5/R. If that is the case wouldn't that negate the cause of 1st and reverse not going in being a broke fork?

Anyway tranny is being dropped to troubleshoot. Hopefully it's the pilot bearing.

So the verdict is (finally) in... The OEM shift forks bent and took out the brass synchros and damaged the reverse idler. I need PPG forks, all the rings, and the reverse gear, plus a bunch of seals and gaskets. I'm going to try to get the PPG forks and maybe add the PPG Front LSD since the tranny is apart. I already have a ACT Street clutch and flywheel waiting for it. Oh well...

Well, it's a a couple months wait on the PPG stuff, so I'm going with some other billet forks and a Cusco front LSD...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Well, it's a a couple months wait on the PPG stuff, so I'm going with some other billet forks and a Cusco front LSD...
    $$ Ouch.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    bummer dude.

You think about kaaz for your Diff?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

UPDATE: Wish I had better news to report, but my car is still in the shop as of this week. What a nightmare! The shop I'm using had troubles with installing one of the billet forks. Not their fault (it was manufactured wrong), but it took weeks to resolve. Communication and initiative was (is) very lacking with the national chain shop I stupidly went to (should have flat-bedded the car to Andrewtech from the beginning. Thankfully Andrewtech stepped up and helped me out by working with the shop. Very good customer service!!! So after weeks (months) of waiting, I "may" have my car back next week.

For now, I'm driving around in my GTO on worn summers praying it doesn't snow... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast