Should I have removed the stock intake?

This is a discussion on Should I have removed the stock intake? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2003 impreza wrx with the ej205. My friend and I removed the intake from the inside of ...

Should I have removed the stock intake?

I have a 2003 impreza wrx with the ej205. My friend and I removed the intake from the inside of the fender and where it comes out to pull in air under the hood. He thought that it would help with airflow and drilled two holes on the intake box below the filter. Can anyone tell me if this will affect the MAF or the ECU?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    it shouldn't since its before the maf but thats not the best solution
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Why would you drill holes in the airbox? Also, because heat is the enemy of turbocharged cars, I think that colder air would be more beneficial than more air flow. Another thing to consider is that the OEM airboxes are actually pretty good on these cars. I doubt too many people are 'swiss cheesing' their OEM intakes, so my guess is that you won't get a reliable answer about the A/F and MAF.

Good luck.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

did you remove the piece actually in the fender or the piece in the engine bay that takes air from the grill area into the fender?
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Both of them were removed.

put the part in the engine bay back in as thats providing a large portion of your airflow. The part in the fender isn't important and is only there to quiet the intake so it can stay out. Then find some screws or something to plug the holes you drilled to avoid any extra dirt/debris from entering the intake and you will be fine.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Okay that is a very good point. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SubiefanParker View Post
    My friend and I removed the intake from the inside of the fender and where it comes out to pull in air under the hood. He thought that it would help with airflow and drilled two holes on the intake box below the filter. Can anyone tell me if this will affect the MAF or the ECU?
    You and your friend need an education on basic airflow, sorry. You did about the worst thing possible. The whole point of the factory setup is so that it does NOT pull air from under the hood. That air is likely to be 20-50 degrees or more hotter than the air coming in through the factory setup.

Restore your factory setup and plug those holes you made. Your car already gets more air than it can use through the stock intake system.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I honestly would have just left it all alone if it were up to me but he believed that the best thing to do would be to get more air flow. I put the piece back on thats above the grill and filled in the holes. One of the bolts holding on the piece that goes under the grill broke off and the damn thing wont drill out..

get some screw extractors from a local hardware store. The two sided kind that drill with one side and extract with the other
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics