Does anyone hear a release of air pressure every 10 seconds when the AC is running?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does anyone hear a release of air pressure every 10 seconds when the AC is running? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone! I am the proud owner of a brand new 2011 WRX, but I am concerned about a specific ...

Does anyone hear a release of air pressure every 10 seconds when the AC is running?

Hi everyone! I am the proud owner of a brand new 2011 WRX, but I am concerned about a specific noise I keep hearing. Whenever I have the air-conditioner on, and I turn off my radio, I can hear a sneezing-like sound being emitted every 10 seconds or so (I timed it). I want to say it is just air-pressure being released from the engine, but I want to be sure. No one at the dealership could assist me, as none of them had ever driven one at length to say for sure. I can feel a slight lugging of the engine when it occurs as well, which I want to say is caused by the AC being on...but does anyone know for sure? I would be eternally grateful. Thank you all kindly, Nicole

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum Nicole.

I think you should pursue this further with the dealership. Make them go on a long ride with you. This doesn't happen in a normal WRX. There shouldn't be any air pressure being released anywhere with the exception of the bypass valve... but that only happens between shifts, or when you go off throttle from wide open throttle.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think it is the AC - it will noticeably slow the motor when it kicks on and you say the issue only occurs when it is on. But it shouldn't be going on and off that often. Put it on full cold with high fan and see if it makes the intervals longer. Also, the fan for the radiator goes on and off especially when the AC is on (again shouldn't be 10 sec. though). You could also open the hood with the motor running and the AC on and see where the sound comes from.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thank you both for your swift responses...I will take her to the dealership and have her checked.

I Support ClubWRX
    John, that's what I was kinda thinking. I was just thrown off by the 10second intervals thing. So it sounds to me like there could be an AC problem or something.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    The front defroster could be on, this would engage the A/C whether the switch for the A/C is on or not.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

if your freon level is low the compressor clutch will cycle on and off just as you describe.
    i would have the dealer check that out for you.
    my 2011 a/c does not do this and i use the a/c all the time.
    Second place just means you were first too lose!

Thank you, everyone. I'll be sure to share the information you have provided with whoever assists me at the dealership.

That's the A/C compressor cycling. It's perfectly normal and happens on any car that has A/C.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    That's the A/C compressor cycling. It's perfectly normal and happens on any car that has A/C.
    +1
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    No, it certainly doesn't happen every ten seconds on normal cars.

Thank you for your response, Jon...the only reason I thought it might be normal is that it is so consistent. I've never had a turbo engine before, so I wanted to make sure. I will have the dealership check it out anyway, just to be on the safe side, because she is due for an oil change. Another oddity is that half of the paperwork says to take her in at 3,750 mi., and the other half says at 7,000. Since you have the 2011, when did you take yours in? I'm currently at the 4,000 mile mark...lol

My apologies...I was responding to Scott...

I Support ClubWRX
    Use the 3750.

I Support ClubWRX
    The 3750 is for the first one.. then after that it's supposed to be 7,000. Personally I religiously do 5000.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast