remote start

This is a discussion on remote start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread but here goes anyway. I have an 04 manual wrx and ...

remote start

I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread but here goes anyway.

I have an 04 manual wrx and i noticed a hood pin switch the other day when i was looking at something else under the hood. maybe this is a stupid question but is the hood pin switch used for anything other than a remote starter? if yes, how do i determine what it was for? if no, how do i determine what type of remote start i have? The previous owner did not provide me with a keyfob for anything other than keyless entry. With winter very quickly approaching, a remote start would obviously be a nice bonus.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Alarm system. Why would it be for a remote start?

Do I have to use the Hood Pin Switch when installing a Remote Starter?

The Hood Pin Switch is a Mechanic Safety Device. This is used to prevent the Engine from Remote Starting when the Hood is "OPEN". This feature is optional to a point, on some newer units (RS-82P, RS-1100, RS-1200 RS-700) the Hood Pin switch must be used to get the unit out of "OPERATOR SAFETY MODE/INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE".
    Most remote start systems i've seen include a hood pin switch, so i guess i thought maybe this could be for a remote start.

I Support ClubWRX
    It should be for the remote start.That is the safety switch so that the car does not start when the hood is up.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    It should be for the remote start.That is the safety switch so that the car does not start when the hood is up.
    Any idea where a good start is to figuring out where the remote start module would be placed?

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have the OEM key fob?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

A great place to start is to get rid of the idea of remote start on a manual car.

Inevitably you'll post a thread about accidentally starting it while the car is in gear.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Do you have the OEM key fob?
    i have this:

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    A great place to start is to get rid of the idea of remote start on a manual car.

Inevitably you'll post a thread about accidentally starting it while the car is in gear.
    don't most remote starts require a sequence when shutting off the car in order to "setup" remote start and if you do anything abnormal in that sequence it won't work? Besides, that's a ridiculous idea to not get a remote start / use it if i already have it. my manual 08 civic has had remote start for over a year now and i dont think the thought of that happening ever even crossed my mind. Then again, i never park my car in gear.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kajun
    Then again, i never park my car in gear.
    I always do as a backup of the E-brake

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC