Shifter "stiffness" in stock 2011 WRX with STi short throw shifter

This is a discussion on Shifter "stiffness" in stock 2011 WRX with STi short throw shifter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been driving around my new 2011 WRX and loving it. One of the things I really like about this ...

Shifter "stiffness" in stock 2011 WRX with STi short throw shifter

I've been driving around my new 2011 WRX and loving it. One of the things I really like about this car is the feel of the shifter with the short throw kit (which came on the car). Enough notchiness to know when you're in gear, light enough and with a good throw length to make it fun, and a great mechanical feel through the shifter.

Tonight, though, I got into my wife's Mazda3 and the first thing I noticed was by comparison how tight/stiff the shifter is. I'm just talking about how much force it takes to move it side to side in neutral. IIRC my old Civic was about the same as the Mazda, and by comparison the WRX's is way, way lighter. It probably takes half the force to move it side to side.

I think I've just been getting used to it over the past few weeks, and I wouldn't exactly call it sloppy, but I was surprised at how big the difference is.

Obviously the shifter setup on the two cars is very different (cable linkage to FWD transaxle vs rod setup mounted more directly to the transmission), and the stick itself is also shorter on the Mazda than on the WRX. Is this just how it is, normally? I don't dislike the way it feels but is this why so many people talk about installing aftermarket shifter bushings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bushings will def take any "slop" or "squishy" out of it .. but remember when you're directly connected to the trans with hard parts that aren't generating friction ( like the cable set up can ) you'll have a lighter feel. Less of your movement energy is wasted in pushing/pulling cables.

If you haven't done the bushings though... man.. they're cheap.. DO EEET!! Seriously, if you like it now you'll really like it with stiffer bushings.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rationull View Post
    is this why so many people talk about installing aftermarket shifter bushings?
    exactly.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Sounds like I might have to look into bushings then.

I hadn't thought about the potential for friction in a cable setup. Make sense.