Bouncing Temp Gauge (08' WRX)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bouncing Temp Gauge (08' WRX) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've noticed that while I drive my temp gauge will go up and down. It usually goes up while idling ...

Bouncing Temp Gauge (08' WRX)

I've noticed that while I drive my temp gauge will go up and down. It usually goes

up while idling and goes down once I start to take off and it sometimes rises if I

get into the throttle. There is no anti-freeze leak and I drive conservatively. I

know that with no air flow at a stand still it could cause the engine temp to rise,

but I've never heard of it making the temp gauge moving noticeably. My WRX has

no power adders other than a K&N Typhoon intake system. I use Pennzoil Platinum

Synthetic engine oil and 91 octane fuel. Is there anything I can do to keep the

engine temp more constant and possibly lower?Could this be the affect of where

Subaru placed the temp gauge? Is this something that turbo charged engines do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had a similar problem with my '04 wrx, it ended up being a very small coolant leak just above the turbo, have you checked your radiator fluid level when the car is cooled off both at the radiator and the upper resevior?
    2004 wrx 5-door, freshie in college, miss my car

The temp gauge can fluctuate slightly. How much exactly is it moving in widths of the needle from normal to the high and low points you've seen it read?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The temp gauge can fluctuate slightly. How much exactly is it moving in widths of the needle from normal to the high and low points you've seen it read?
    It will flucuate at least the width of 5 or 6 needles. But it has never over heated.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlosnived View Post
    I had a similar problem with my '04 wrx, it ended up being a very small coolant leak just above the turbo, have you checked your radiator fluid level when the car is cooled off both at the radiator and the upper resevior?
    No I haven't checked it with everything cooled off. When I do check it, it's when the car has sat a little while after running. I will check it today and get back to you.

That doesn't sound like an unreasonable fluctuation, though I have to say my STI temp gauge never moved a bit during hours of tracking it (that was very surprising). Most of the time cars will have some fluctuation.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

It is also possible that your thermostat is sticking closed.

if it was sticking closed wouldn't the car just overheat? could it be possible that its faulty and opens up at a higher temp than it should be?
    2004 wrx 5-door, freshie in college, miss my car

It could be sticking (not stuck) closed so that it requires a higher temperature before it pops open and allows the car to cool. This would account for the higher temperature differences between cool and hot.

sounds like you just need to burp your coolant system...aka get the bubbles out of it. My rex did the same thing went away when i burped it.
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

Yea, I would go with burping the system first before doing anything else...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by Karlosnived View Post
    if it was sticking closed wouldn't the car just overheat? could it be possible that its faulty and opens up at a higher temp than it should be?
    This sounds more possible. I know GrimmSpeed makes a thermostat that opens at a cooler temp and if it fails, it will fail open.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    Yea, I would go with burping the system first before doing anything else...
    How would I burp it? Is that when you let the car run with the radiator cap off.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would think burping as well. But if you've been driving it.. it should've burped. Is your coolant level low? (Don't check the radiator, or upper coolant tank, look at the overflow!) How long has it been since you've changed your fluid?

Tutorial: Change coolant/anti-freeze in a 2006 Subaru WRX STi - YouTube
    Last edited by Sinister; 10-18-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

So I checked my coolant level at the overflow tank this morning with the engine and everything cold and it is a little low. By the time I got to work the engine had got

to operating temp and the overflow tank had filled up from the thermostat opening up and the tank read full. I read my owners manual and it said to check the fluid

level at each fuel stop, which I would assume to mean to check with a hot engine. I will try burping the system this afternoon and see what happens. I would guess

the nest step after that would to get a new thermostat. If that were the case, I would get the Grimmspeed thermostat since it opens up at a lower temp and if it fails,

it will fail in the open position.
    Last edited by rc_wizard; 10-19-2011 at 07:07 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.