Start up noise.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Start up noise. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just purchased a 2002 WRX completely stock with 120k miles. This car is in beautiful condition and was owned ...

Start up noise.

I just purchased a 2002 WRX completely stock with 120k miles. This car is in beautiful condition and was owned by one old man that drove it to the office. The possible problem is that there's a scratch like sound that happens when I turn the car over. I'm guessing its the starter moving because I think I've heard the noise on a tractor but if anyone knows of a possible cause let me know please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does it only happen when you've engaged the starter and then it goes away? If so, sounds like the starter isn't meshing with the flywheel. Not unexpected on a car with 120k miles.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

No it happens about 3 seconds after the car has been turned over.

So it briefly happens at that point and goes away?

If so, sounds like the starter spring is worn and the starter gear isn't disengaging from the flywheel quickly enough when the car starts so they briefly grind. Eventually this will mean the starter gear will break and you'll need a new starter.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Also this only happens when the car is cold. When the car is warm theres no grind. Thanks for your help man it means alot.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.