Scraping sound on new 2011 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Scraping sound on new 2011 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, just wanted to ask you guys this before the dealer.. When I first start up my car, pull ...

I Support ClubWRX

Scraping sound on new 2011 WRX

Hey guys, just wanted to ask you guys this before the dealer..

When I first start up my car, pull out of my parking spot and drive away.. there is always a quick scrape noise that I hear once I turn for the first time. No matter really how far I drive forward first (usually I leave my apartment space, drive about 5 feet then turn) I always here this scrape. It doesn't happen again until I leave the car sit for an extended period of time.

I'm not sure if this is a fluid related problem, i.e. it's coming from the front diff, or if it is an axle problem from the front somewhere. Any ideas?

-JJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you back out of your spot? May be the hill assist releasing. I'm pretty sure I hear the same thing and my guess was that.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

I Support ClubWRX
    I do back out of the spot, but why does it take 5 feet for the hill assist to release, and only releases when I turn? Could very well be this, it's just a strange phenomenon.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes it takes a couple of feet for the hill assist to release after going in reverse.The sound you hear should be that.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Now that I think about it I have experienced this also the few times I back out of the driveway. Don't know about the turning part though.

I have noticed this on my 2010 WRX 4-door.. I have yet to determine if it is only after backing up though.. I notice it most when I back out of my drive way. Was bothering me too.. I notice the scraping for a few minutes, and cant really determine when it goes away or what causes it to go away..

I may have noticed something similar after I back out of my driveway as well. I pull straight out of my parking spot, and turn out of the parking lot. I never hear it then. I'll try to pay more attention...
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Same here as well. I back out of my garage and to the right about 20 ft. Upon starting forward I'll hear a sound, but it does not seem to be associated with any actual sensation of contact/rubbing/etc. Happens often enough I've noticed it, but have long since chosen to ignore it as a warning of an issue. All on flat ground, as well, so hill assist should not be involved.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

KHP
    A friend of mine who has an 2.5i Impreza noticed this. She asked the dealer what it could be. Their reply was that it's the EBD/ABS/Brake Assist motor doing it's initial diagnostic rolling test.

After she pointed it out I realized that my car was doing the same. It sound like a clunk coming from the front passenger side of the car after rolling a few feet forward. Since enough cars do it I would assume that it's perfectly normal.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I notice a slight "tick" or "clunk" when going forward for the first time after backing up, sounds like it is a common noise.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.