EJ257 short block oil consumpsion
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on EJ257 short block oil consumpsion within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My bro just spent 25K at a tuner shop for a totally new 400ph drive train. He was over for ...

EJ257 short block oil consumpsion

My bro just spent 25K at a tuner shop for a totally new 400ph drive train. He was over for steaks and said his low psi oil light is on and his gauge reads 0 psi @idle. There was no oil in the D@mn thing. It has a A.O.S. on it and 5w-30 syn oil. It was onlt 2500 miles since his last oil change. Is it normal for these to use this much oil? I don't have any experiance with this, any help would be awesome, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    He drove his car to your house with 0 oil pressure?

That doesn't sound very good. If he ran the car at 0 PSI oil pressure (at any length of time) I wouldn't surprise me if he somehow had internal engine damage.

Different engines behave differently. Some engines consume more oil than others. Though it wouldn't surprise me if a highly modified engine consumed a lot more oil than stock or lightly modified. At that power level its completely possible that he's consuming that much oil.

How often does he check his oil? I check mine once every 2 weeks (my engine is completely stock). Modified engines require more care so owners need to check their oil level more frequently.

$25k
    Last edited by KHP; 10-09-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

What did he have done to the engine for $25k? That's a LOT of money to get only 400 HP.....

I wouldn't be surprised either if he did some major damage to the engine internals, and especially his turbo. It's unlikely for any engine to burn 5 quarts of oil in only 2500 miles. Is he sure he doesn't have a leak somewhere?

Normally these engines burn about 1 quart every 2-3k miles, usually a bit less.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Normally these engines burn about 1 quart every 2-3k miles, usually a bit less.
    It's 1qt from full to low on the dipstick. So maybe he's just below low, but then it doesn't make sense since he's not getting oil pressure at all.
    How little oil can you have before the oil pickup starts having issues getting oil?
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    If the guy spend 25,000 on a modified motor it best be over 400hp, if it was brand new it should of had oil changed at around 500 as that is usually a recommendation of the builder.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    If the guy spend 25,000 on a modified motor it best be over 400hp, if it was brand new it should of had oil changed at around 500 as that is usually a recommendation of the builder.
    If I spent that kind of money and it didn't have over 500 I'd want my money back. That much money should get you a Crawford motor with lots of bells and whistles!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Thanks guys. Yea it's a Crawford with a PPG trans and everything else he could upgrade. He says it's 430hp to the ground, well USE TO put 430HP to the ground. I'm just tryin to find out if he screwd up or the shop did. regardless he should have shut it down when the light first came on. Is it common for the rods to hit the cyl walls when a bearing fails, all of my knowlege is in diesels so not a lot of horizontal pistons here. thanks

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's going to have to be at least three quarts low on oil to be sucking air, more like four. Any decently built engine shouldn't consume that much oil, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong in a build to cause it to lose oil. I would consider ~1 quart every 3,000 miles to be acceptable oil consumption.

My builder, along with most, will tell you to drain the break-in oil at 100 miles, and then change it again at 1,000. Somewhere in between there the shop should have asked him to come in so they could put it on a lift and inspect it for leaks.

If it's not leaking or smoking, then you need to figure out where all that oil is going. But as others have said, running for any amount of time with zero oil pressure is going to cause permanent damage. If he's lucky only the bearings will need to be replaced.

I quickly learned that with any new engine build you should check the oil levels very often to make sure something isn't wrong. I'm at 5,500 miles on my most recent engine build and I still check the oil EVERY time I get ready to drive somewhere, and if I'm driving very far I check it at least every time I stop for gas, if not more often.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.