New 2011 WRX, looking at the air box, is this normal?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New 2011 WRX, looking at the air box, is this normal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Poking around under the hood of my new WRX I noticed that you can see a little bit of the ...

New 2011 WRX, looking at the air box, is this normal?

Poking around under the hood of my new WRX I noticed that you can see a little bit of the air filter though the engine side of the air box cover. I opened it up and everything does appear to be sealed (i.e. there's no air gap AFAICT). I've never noticed this before on other cars, but then I've never had a car where the air box was on its side with a vertical opening. Also seems weird that the filter doesn't have a rubber edge, but what do I know?

I just wanted to check w/ other owners to see whether they're all like this, for peace of mind.

Pic (I think it looks worse than it is -- like I said there's no actual gap, neither side of the air box will move if I try to squeeze them together):

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I took mine out today to install the Cobb SF and it was flush all around

Mine is flush as well.
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

What about the little cutout spot in the ridge on the engine side? Can you see the filter through it or not?

You should not see the filter at all.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

yeah that's not right. The front part of the box isn't seated correctly. Pop off the snorkus, unhook the maf cable and undo the airbox lid.. remove the air filter and look in the bottom.. you'll see where the two piece of the airbox kinda hinge together. I'd bet that its not sitting right at that spot. Goof with it until it seats right, slide air filter back in (will be a lil tight) and clamp it back down. If its sitting correctly the clips wont be hard to pop back on and you wont see any filter showing.

Oh.. and dont forget to hook the maf back up .. I'll spare the details of why I'm reminding you of this... lol
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I think my original picture was just bad. I took it apart this afternoon and everything was put together correctly - this is just the way it fits together. Pics of the air box out of the car, assembled, to demonstrate:

You can see that the bottom tabs are hooked up correctly:

But you can see the filter through the little "window" in the side:

I put it all back together and everything's the same. Another pic to confirm that from the top you can't see any of the filter:

But you can still see the edge of the filter if you look from the side. Either my air box is just weird or you all will see the same thing if you look from the right angle.

Oh well, at least I learned how to take out the filter and the box. Kind of a PITA, kind of tight, but could be worse.

Is the air filter in there backwards maybe?

You shouldn't be able to see any of the filter when it's closed.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

The filter won't go in backwards (which is nice). Notice in the pictures that there's a small cutaway portion in rim of the engine side half of the box, there's no way this could go together and totally block view of the filter.

To be clear what's exposed is not part of the filter element itself, it's the frame of the filter which in this case is made of gray plastic with a fuzzy white pad on one side. Most other filters I've used (different cars) have a black rubber edge which would be much harder to see in this setup.

Until I see a picture that looks different, I think this is just the way it's designed.

Must have been the angle then, all the new pics look right. The angle on that first one makes it look like there's a huge gap.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Yea that doesn't look right. You shouldn't be able to see the filter.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I just went out and looked at mine from the same low f-r angle.. yep.. can def see the white edges of the filter. Cant see from top down or side to side but looking front to rear about level with the airbox you can def see it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I just went out and looked at mine from the same low f-r angle.. yep.. can def see the white edges of the filter. Cant see from top down or side to side but looking front to rear about level with the airbox you can def see it.
    Thanks. I'm glad I took the air box out anyway so I could look at it from all angles and put it together with and without the filter in it -- I'm convinced this is by design. A little weird, but by design. It's possible that all kinds of boxes are actually like this, but it seems to me you'd just never notice on a more conventional arrangement where the filter sits horizontally and the lid comes of the top instead of the side.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.