Need help adjusting my e brake on my wrx 07

This is a discussion on Need help adjusting my e brake on my wrx 07 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can somebody tell me how to adjust this please....

Need help adjusting my e brake on my wrx 07

Can somebody tell me how to adjust this please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What you call an "e brake" is what Subaru calls a "parking brake." I am helping on the basis that both you and Subaru will now start calling it a hand brake, like I do. I'll leave contacting Subaru to correct them in your hands.

The brake is a drum built into the discs. On my early car the Φ of the drum is 170 mm and it uses relatively conventional shoes, like any other drum brake; yours may be larger but in any case, it's just a drum. Shoe clearance can be adjusted but what I can't understand is why you would need to do so -- since it's a separate, albeit integrated, brake, it doesn't wear when the rear disc pads wear.

Anyway, there is a toothed gear in each parking brake assembly used to adjust shoe clearance. Look at the reverse side of the discs and you should see a small orifice, usually covered with a grommet of some sort. You can adjust shoe clearance by turning the toothed gear "up" until the shoes touch the drum brake, then turning it back down up to 5 teeth to back the shoes off. Repeat on the other side. You can use a screwdriver with a flat but already worn tip (don't use a nice screwdriver, it's a waste).

For the lever, there is a retaining pin on the adjuster visible when the console cover is removed. Pull the lever a few times with force, and count the clicks. Adjust until there are only 6 clicks needed to achieve hand brake lock.

Hope this helps, but again, it is odd that you need to do this.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.