Is transmission part of the powertrain warranty?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is transmission part of the powertrain warranty? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car has been making some funny sounds for a while, and every time I mentioned it while it was ...

Banned

Is transmission part of the powertrain warranty?

My car has been making some funny sounds for a while, and every time I mentioned it while it was under the full warranty, Subaru told me the car is supposed to sound like that. B.S. By funny, I mean strange whirring/buzzing sounds when I accelerate, a squeaky clutch pedal, etc. I seriously fail to see how those could be design sounds. Unless the car is supposed to sound like crap, in which case, they're right.

Anyway, I just had new tires put on at a Crest/Jaguar/Ford dealership and mentioned it to them, so they checked. They said the transmission fluid is low and to get a power flush and fill, and if it doesn't go away, to take it to Subaru as it should be covered under the powertrain warranty. Apparently if it were a Ford/Lincoln/Jaguar, it would be. Thing is, I can't make heads or tails of what exactly is covered with the warranty.

This reminds me of the brand new 2000 Eclipse I had in 2000. I had a bad TOB and took it to the dealership where I bought it that said I burned the clutch out, and since I did it, it wouldn't be covered. Mind you, this was three month's later with no real beating on the car. I said bull and took it to another dealership that said it was the TOB and they replaced it free. The second dealership said they would have done the TOB along with the clutch and pocketed all the money, processing it as a warranty issue. I feel like that's what Subaru is doing to me. Under warranty nothing is wrong and it's all in my head. I'm sure now that the car has 60,000 miles on it they'll try to say it's my fault.

So should it be covered? If so, should I shop around dealerships till one fixes it? And if it is a warranty issue, can they still charge me that $125 diagnostic fee they like to?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Im a mazda service advisor and the basic dianostic is routine to inspect what is exactly wrong... Sometimes the corporate automaker requires photos and various other proof items to approve the warrany claim... Your powertrain should cover any internal lubricated part for 5 years or 60k miles (which ever comes first)... So if your car allready has 60k on it, then your allready past your coverage period so there might be a slight chance they might "goodwill" it for you but don hold your breath...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Banned
    Subaru's powertrain is only 50K miles? I thought it was 10 years. Crap. Don't most companies have ten year? Gonna run out to my car and see what the exact mileage is. Pretty sure it's over, 60, but if it is, does that mean Subaru transmissions are just crap quality not expected to last longer than a Prius battery?

Banned
    61,190 miles

I looked up a few of the other brands:

chrysler and dodge: Lifetime
    Hyundai: 10 years
    Isuzu: 7 years
    Jeep: Lifetime
    Kia: Lifetime
    Mitsubishi: 10 years
    Suzuki: 7 years

I Support ClubWRX
    it is 5 years 60k.. and the other cars you listed off are literally junk.

chrysler and dodge: Lifetime *limited lifetime*
    Hyundai: 10 years *HAH... Limited lifetime*
    Isuzu: 7 years *yea i wont even touch this one*
    Jeep: Lifetime *same as chrysler/dodge*
    Kia: Lifetime *limited lifetime and a goodluck on that!*
    Mitsubishi: 10 years *on some models*
    Suzuki: 7 years *cant even make bikes right*
    Last edited by T0rque; 10-05-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

In that list only Mitsubishi offers anything like the WRX/STI. The Lancer Evolution and Lancer Ralliart, these models have 60month 60k mile drive train warranty.

It's also worth pointing out that during the bailout Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep changed their warranty program to 60month/100k. The "lifetime" power train warranty isn't transferable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    it is 5 years 60k.. and the other cars you listed off are literally junk.

chrysler and dodge: Lifetime *limited lifetime*
    Hyundai: 10 years *HAH... Limited lifetime*
    Isuzu: 7 years *yea i wont even touch this one*
    Jeep: Lifetime *same as chrysler/dodge*
    Kia: Lifetime *limited lifetime and a goodluck on that!*
    Mitsubishi: 10 years *on some models*
    Suzuki: 7 years *cant even make bikes right*

Umm, so you think Suzuki can't build motorcycles right? How about the GSX1300R, otherwise known as the Hayabusa, rated one of the best motorcycles ever built, and one of the fastest, if not THE fastest.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    In that list only Mitsubishi offers anything like the WRX/STI. The Lancer Evolution and Lancer Ralliart, these models have 60month 60k mile drive train warranty.

It's also worth pointing out that during the bailout Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep changed their warranty program to 60month/100k. The "lifetime" power train warranty isn't transferable.
    Wrong about the others not having anything like the WRX. Hyundai has the Genesis, which is just as fast as my 08 WRX. Maybe faster. Chrysler has the 300C including the SRT-8 model, which is pretty damn fast, as fast as the current WRX, but with a top speed of 175. Dodge has the Challenger, and Charger, both of which also have the SRT-8 performance available. Kia has a turbo-charged Optima, while not quite as fast as the WRX, 60 in 6 seconds flat isn't that bad. Isuzu I don't think makes cars any more, Jeep has the SRT version of the Grand Cherokee, and possibly even the Cherokee, although I'm not positive on the latter, but it's hard to compare Jeep to WRX anyway. It'd be like saying the WRX can't keep up with a Jeep off road, which would be 100% true. Suzuki also doesn't have that type of car.

Banned
    [QUOTE=T0rque;2803637]it is 5 years 60k.. and the other cars you listed off are literally junk.

Look, I like my car, but for you to flat out say all of those cars are junk is, both factually incorrect and a little silly. It's like when I hear Red Sox fans try to tell me their team is better than the Yankees. Factually, they are wrong. They might at any given time be having a better year (although not this year), but overall they're wrong. The Evo always scores better than the WRX in just about every review from every magazine, so I'm assuming it's a solid car, and not "junk". Jeep is the most popular SUV in New England, and gets great reviews, and happens to be the mold all other SUVs were built around. Chrysler and Dodge have some very cool cars. I happen to love the way the 300C looks, like I love the look of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. And my personal opinion is that anyone who says a Challenger or Charger is a junk car was out in the sun too long. Although, given the choice I'd take the new Camaro over the Challenger or Charger.

Banned
    But why if a junky car like a Hyundai (which currently gets pretty good reviews) has a ten year warranty of the powertrain couldn't Subaru? I'm assuming the lower the date by the manufacturer, that's when they assume it will crap out. So is Subaru incapable of making them last as long as some of the other companies out there? I had another Eclipse after the first one and I beat the piss out of it. I never once had any clutch or transmission issues on it and it had over 140,000 miles on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30
    Wrong about the others not having anything like the WRX. Hyundai has the Genesis, which is just as fast as my 08 WRX. Maybe faster. Chrysler has the 300C including the SRT-8 model, which is pretty damn fast, as fast as the current WRX, but with a top speed of 175. Dodge has the Challenger, and Charger, both of which also have the SRT-8 performance available. Kia has a turbo-charged Optima, while not quite as fast as the WRX, 60 in 6 seconds flat isn't that bad. Isuzu I don't think makes cars any more, Jeep has the SRT version of the Grand Cherokee, and possibly even the Cherokee, although I'm not positive on the latter, but it's hard to compare Jeep to WRX anyway. It'd be like saying the WRX can't keep up with a Jeep off road, which would be 100% true. Suzuki also doesn't have that type of car.
    None of the cars you mentioned are in the same class of car as the WRX

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    Only one other company in your list, Mitsubishi, sells a Compact AWD and Turbo car.

While the Genesis coupe is a cool car it competes in the Pony car segment, along with the Mustang and 370Z. This isn't to say customers won't cross shop the GenCoupe and the WRX, just that it's not how they are marketed. (Motortrend) (Autoblog)

The Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima Turbo turbo (same car, different interior/exterior), is a great set of cars, but they aren't performance cars.
    Don't believe everything you read on zeroto60times.com

The Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep SRT cars and SUV's are great products, but are also very large and thirsty. BTW, the Grand Cherokee is the only Cherokee in their lineup since the 2002 model year.

The last time Isuzu sold cars in the US was the early 90's, and they pulled out of the US market entirely after the 2008 model year.

My stock transmission has > 107k miles on it and about 10 years. It has never given me a problem and I don't baby it. OP is did you buy the car used or new?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I have a 62K mi on my 2010.. no trans issues and I drive the car like I stole it.

You are aware that these transmissions are notoriously noisy right? Mine has sounded like a old truck trans since the day I brought it home. Works/shifts absolutely smooth. I can even get down into 1st without issue on the roll....

have you had anyone else (who owns a subaru) listen to your trans? Have you driven anyone else's car? .. might want to do that before slamming soa on a warranty that is more than adequate.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    None of the cars you mentioned are in the same class of car as the WRX

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    You mean because they're more powerful? The Hyundai is in the same class. It's a turbocharged inline-4 if you get the 2.0T. The Kia Optima is also a turbocharged inline-4, so how is that not the same class?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast