Is transmission part of the powertrain warranty? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Is transmission part of the powertrain warranty? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy Only one other company in your list, Mitsubishi, sells a Compact AWD and Turbo car. While ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    Only one other company in your list, Mitsubishi, sells a Compact AWD and Turbo car.

While the Genesis coupe is a cool car it competes in the Pony car segment, along with the Mustang and 370Z. This isn't to say customers won't cross shop the GenCoupe and the WRX, just that it's not how they are marketed. (Motortrend) (Autoblog)

The Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima Turbo turbo (same car, different interior/exterior), is a great set of cars, but they aren't performance cars.
    Don't believe everything you read on zeroto60times.com

The Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep SRT cars and SUV's are great products, but are also very large and thirsty. BTW, the Grand Cherokee is the only Cherokee in their lineup since the 2002 model year.

The last time Isuzu sold cars in the US was the early 90's, and they pulled out of the US market entirely after the 2008 model year.
    I didn't realize the car had to be both compact and AWD to be in the same class as the WRX. So all the road tests of the WRX vs the GTi, WRX vs the Mazdaspeed 3, WRX vs BMW 1 series, etc are all two different classes of car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    My stock transmission has > 107k miles on it and about 10 years. It has never given me a problem and I don't baby it. OP is did you buy the car used or new?
    I bought it used, but I got it with 7,000 miles on it and haven't had a problem with the transmission really till recently.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I have a 62K mi on my 2010.. no trans issues and I drive the car like I stole it.

You are aware that these transmissions are notoriously noisy right? Mine has sounded like a old truck trans since the day I brought it home. Works/shifts absolutely smooth. I can even get down into 1st without issue on the roll....

have you had anyone else (who owns a subaru) listen to your trans? Have you driven anyone else's car? .. might want to do that before slamming soa on a warranty that is more than adequate.
    It's not just a strange sound. ASIDE from the fact that it sounds like a giant zip got ripped from a giant zip car when I hit the gas with the weird zzzzzzzzzzzzz/whirrrrrrr sound the engine makes these last few months, the power seems to be gone off the line. Once I'm on the highway or moving I have it, but not down low. And it didn't used to be like that so I don't think it's a design feature.

Banned
    If I won the lottery tomorrow I would give it to my friend and go buy a Raptor. Since that won't happen, I made a checklist and assuming I don't need the transmission rebuilt or a new clutch, I have about $1,000 worth of other stuff I have to do to it. The thing that sucks is that's just to hopefully keep it running well in stock form. I'm nowhere near able to afford mods.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30
    WRX vs BMW 1 series, etc are all two different classes of car?
    You need an explanation of why a Subaru and BMW aren't in the same class?

You mean because they're more powerful? The Hyundai is in the same class. It's a turbocharged inline-4 if you get the 2.0T. The Kia Optima is also a turbocharged inline-4, so how is that not the same class?
    Neither the Hyundai or the Kia offering is their entry level model, where the Subaru is. A more accurate comparison would be against the Legacy.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You need an explanation of why a Subaru and BMW aren't in the same class?

Neither the Hyundai or the Kia offering is their entry level model, where the Subaru is. A more accurate comparison would be against the Legacy.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought when two cars face off in the same class it's either because of similar size, similar horsepower, similar price, etc. Like the comparisons Motor Trend did of the WRX STi vs the Pontiac GTO. I thougt it was a little silly considering one has a much bigger engine and is rear wheel drive, the other is turbocharged and all wheel drive, but they must have considered them in some sort of class, otherwise why not compare the Hyundai Elantra and the Aston Martin DB9?

As for the Hyundai or Kia and entry level models, they do have vanilla versions of the Kia. You can opt for the non-turbo model. The Hyundai Genesis doesn't have a vanilla model, but there's the 2.0T or the more powerful V6, which I would say is like WRX vs WRX STi (although supposedly the new WRX is faster than the current STi).

The WRX/Impreza GT is hardly the entry level model anyway. The regular Impreza would be.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    If you seriously think a turbo Kia is in the same realm of the WRX/STI your are bat**** crazy. If you have never driven a WRX or STI before this one then you need to get with someone more experienced to listen to the noises because contrary to what you seem to believe......Yes, these cars do make noises that sound ridiculous and at times worrisome but it is normal much of the time. Especially if your transmission fluid is low, which lets face it you should be checking on occasion. Your obviously not up on your maintenance and checking fluids so until you can do your part stop complaining about Subaru's part. Stop blaming things on everyone else and saying things like "I'm sure now that the car has 60,000 miles on it they'll try to say it's my fault." because if your tranny fluid is low and you didn't address it, then it is in fact your fault
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    I didn't realize the car had to be both compact and AWD to be in the same class as the WRX.
    I figured you would ask something like that. That's why I said the following.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    This isn't to say customers won't cross shop the GenCoupe and the WRX, just that it's not how they are marketed.

So all the road tests of the WRX vs the GTi, WRX vs the Mazdaspeed 3, WRX vs BMW 1 series, etc are all two different classes of car?
    Volkswagen, Mazda, and BMW are not on the list of manufactures you originally mentioned in this post.

chrysler and dodge: Lifetime
    Hyundai: 10 years
    Isuzu: 7 years
    Jeep: Lifetime
    Kia: Lifetime
    Mitsubishi: 10 years
    Suzuki: 7 years
    To get back on point.
    Is transmission part of the powertrain warranty?
    Yes.

It seems you started this thread just to hone your arguing skills. Have fun with your transmission. I'm done posting in this thread.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 10-07-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    If you seriously think a turbo Kia is in the same realm of the WRX/STI your are bat**** crazy. If you have never driven a WRX or STI before this one then you need to get with someone more experienced to listen to the noises because contrary to what you seem to believe......Yes, these cars do make noises that sound ridiculous and at times worrisome but it is normal much of the time. Especially if your transmission fluid is low, which lets face it you should be checking on occasion. Your obviously not up on your maintenance and checking fluids so until you can do your part stop complaining about Subaru's part. Stop blaming things on everyone else and saying things like "I'm sure now that the car has 60,000 miles on it they'll try to say it's my fault." because if your tranny fluid is low and you didn't address it, then it is in fact your fault
    Maybae I should have changed it sooner, but I didn't. All I know is both my Eclipses didn't have that problem, even on one with over 120,000 miles, but maybe Mitsubishi just made the Eclipse tranny better than Subaru does for the WRX.

As for the turbo Kia, the Optima does 60 in 6.5 seconds. That's not too shabby, so yeah, I would put it in the same group as the WRX. As much as the Sti belongs up against the GTO anyway.

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought when two cars face off in the same class it's either because of similar size, similar horsepower, similar price, etc.
    Not necessarily. They can be compared, but it doesn't mean it is an accurate one.

Like the comparisons Motor Trend did of the WRX STi vs the Pontiac GTO. I thougt it was a little silly considering one has a much bigger engine and is rear wheel drive, the other is turbocharged and all wheel drive, but they must have considered them in some sort of class, otherwise why not compare the Hyundai Elantra and the Aston Martin DB9?
    Motor Trend can compare whatever car they'd like, but that doesn't mean they're in the same class of vehicle; it just means they think that it would make an interesting read (after all, they are in the business of selling magazines).

As for the Hyundai or Kia and entry level models, they do have vanilla versions of the Kia. You can opt for the non-turbo model. The Hyundai Genesis doesn't have a vanilla model, but there's the 2.0T or the more powerful V6, which I would say is like WRX vs WRX STi (although supposedly the new WRX is faster than the current STi).

The WRX/Impreza GT is hardly the entry level model anyway. The regular Impreza would be.
    They're still an Impreza...

The Genesis/Optima lines aren't the entry level models of either make, while the Impreza is of Subaru. If you want a proper comparison, the Legacy (which has N/A and F/I versions) is more accurate.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-07-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Not necessarily. They can be compared, but it doesn't mean it is an accurate one.

Motor Trend can compare whatever car they'd like, but that doesn't mean they're in the same class of vehicle; it just means they think that it would make an interesting read (after all, they are in the business of selling magazines).

They're still an Impreza...

The Genesis/Optima lines aren't the entry level models of either make, while the Impreza is of Subaru. If you want a proper comparison, the Legacy (which has N/A and F/I versions) is more accurate.
    Why does it have to be an entry-level model to be compared? The Impreza is around the same price as the Optima. Saying it can only be compared to the Rio just doesn't make much sense to me.

Look at how many comparisons there are between the WRX and the Mazdaspeed 3. The Mazda 3 is not the entry level car at Mazda. The Mazda 2 is. Or the comparisons of the Gti or R32 with the WRX. The Golf is not the entry-level car at VW. The VW Polo is. I've seen them compare the WRX to the Mustang and Ford's entry level car is the Fiesta.

Maybae I should have changed it sooner, but I didn't. All I know is both my Eclipses didn't have that problem, even on one with over 120,000 miles, but maybe Mitsubishi just made the Eclipse tranny better than Subaru does for the WRX.

As for the turbo Kia, the Optima does 60 in 6.5 seconds. That's not too shabby, so yeah, I would put it in the same group as the WRX. As much as the Sti belongs up against the GTO anyway.
    Ok it does 0-60 in a respectable time, but news alert 0-60 isn't all cars are about. The WRX will out corner, out brake, and overall out drive that Optima all while still being much faster in the end. Plus that 6.5 is infinitely slow compared to the 4.9 second the 2011's are rated at. Put the 2 on the track and I promise it will be no contest.

You never changed the tranny fluid in 120,000 miles? I think that proves my point that this isn't Subaru's fault and in fact was on you. Doesn't Subaru recommend getting all the fluids changed before 60k? I feel like that is a part of the maintenance. A WRX's drivetrain isn't anything like an Eclipse so comparing that is just stupid. I assure you the transmission in your car is well designed, thats why there are 03 guys with 200k plus on stock transmissions and Subaru's last damn near forever.

Why do you not understand that just because they are tested together makes 2 cars in the same class or that 0-60 times determines what a car can do. STI's have a 0-60 time that comes close to the DB9, and is not much slower than cars like the Ferrari California (I know its a slower time but not by a whole lot) but to say they are in the same class is insane. 0-60 tests one aspect of a car.

Bottom line.... If you want your car to be more reliable and not have issues then take better care of it
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Ok it does 0-60 in a respectable time, but news alert 0-60 isn't all cars are about. The WRX will out corner, out brake, and overall out drive that Optima all while still being much faster in the end. Plus that 6.5 is infinitely slow compared to the 4.9 second the 2011's are rated at. Put the 2 on the track and I promise it will be no contest.

You never changed the tranny fluid in 120,000 miles? I think that proves my point that this isn't Subaru's fault and in fact was on you. Doesn't Subaru recommend getting all the fluids changed before 60k? I feel like that is a part of the maintenance. A WRX's drivetrain isn't anything like an Eclipse so comparing that is just stupid. I assure you the transmission in your car is well designed, thats why there are 03 guys with 200k plus on stock transmissions and Subaru's last damn near forever.

Why do you not understand that just because they are tested together makes 2 cars in the same class or that 0-60 times determines what a car can do. STI's have a 0-60 time that comes close to the DB9, and is not much slower than cars like the Ferrari California (I know its a slower time but not by a whole lot) but to say they are in the same class is insane. 0-60 tests one aspect of a car.

Bottom line.... If you want your car to be more reliable and not have issues then take better care of it
    I haven't driven the Optima to know how it handles corners, etc, but I can tell you as much as I like how the WRX handles, I have driven cars that handle better. That Eclipse I had, while nowhere near as fast as the WRX handled really well, especially at high speed. Maybe it was because it was much lower to the ground/not as tall, I don't know, but I was annoyed I couldn't get an AWD G3 Eclipse with the Evo setup from the dealership. Something like the old GS-t. I hear the Supras handle much better than the WRX and that car is well older than the WRX we have now, so I'm a little confused as to how it gets such rave reviews.

I would have done all the "recommended" maintenance if the bastards at Subaru weren't ripp-off artists. They wanted $1500 for the tune-up. That's a lot of money to change some plugs and wires, and change a few fluids. They don't offer installment plans on service and I almost never have $300 to spare let alone $1500 so I decided I would have to wait and do each thing one at a time.

I looked up a DIY for the transmission fluid today and it doesn't look all that complicated up to the part where you have to take the intercooler off. I would much rather do it with someone the first time and watch everything just in case I mess up. The downside to that is the only guy I know who's a mechanic doesn't seem to know what he's doing half the time and screwed up my brakes once. So I need to ask around, maybe one of my FB friends can do it with me.

Why the dipstick is under the intercooler is beyond me. Crap like that pisses everyone off. Like with my Eclipse: you had to take the damn battery out to change the headlight on one side, and then they used retention clips that were VERY hard to get back in place. Poor design. Making people go to a dealer to do what should have been easy makes people look for more user-friendly cars next time around. I plan on my next car being an F-150 FX4, or if i get really lucky, a Raptor. The nice thing about trucks is getting to everything underneath is a lot easier and everything under the hood seems to be layed out in a more logical manner for people like myself.

Plus are cheap if you do them yourself which is very possible. When I got my car all i knew how to do was change tires and oil. I taught myself through DIY's how to do my own fluids (all of them), spark plugs, intercooler, alternator, turbo itself, exhaust, various upgrades etc etc. You don't have to pay the dealership prices if your willing to put in some elbow grease. I just can't get through to you though. "I would have done all the "recommended" maintenance if the bastards at Subaru weren't rip-off artists". Once again your blaming someone else for your inability to complete very simple DIY's. If you don't do the recommended maintenance your going to cause premature failure of parts, end of story. So either dish out the money to Subaru, do it yourself or don't whine when things go wrong.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Ok just quickly browsed through this thread. I'm gonna skip the bs here. Op stop being a cry baby. You are out of warranty so it's out of your pocket to fix it. If the squeak occurs when you're pushing in the clutch chances are it's you're throwout bearing and pressure plate. Since you're in there might as well do a new clutch disc. You're welcome for your free advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12