High idle at times?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on High idle at times? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving my '11 WRX (non STi) to work this morning. After it warmed up (temp between C and ...

L37

High idle at times?

I was driving my '11 WRX (non STi) to work this morning. After it warmed up (temp between C and H), I noticed that when I press the clutch fully, the engine rpm drops to about 2000, vs the 1000something/whatever lower value it idles at. Consider the scenario: Let's say I am in 2nd, going 40 and want to slow down. I press the brake, put down the clutch, and slow down to 10 or so via brake. Clutch down, rpm is still around 2k...I let it out slightly, the friction lowers the rpm. I push clutch back down, rpm stays same...ie, the rpm for some reason stays around 2k unless I use the clutch to bring it down. This does not happen all the time, but I have noticed it a number of times and was wondering how normal this was. I am new to driving a manual car, hence I ask...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    That should be normal. Has to do with emissions control. While the car is in motion the engine tries to elevate idle so that it prevents low idle exhaust(usually more polluting, thus the term "avoid idling" in traffic conditions). If you hold the clutch down long enough the ECU should eventually settle idle down to normal low idle (~800 RPMs).
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

L37
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    That should be normal. Has to do with emissions control. While the car is in motion the engine tries to elevate idle so that it prevents low idle exhaust(usually more polluting, thus the term "avoid idling" in traffic conditions). If you hold the clutch down long enough the ECU should eventually settle idle down to normal low idle (~800 RPMs).
    Thanks! I was a bit worried since my brother's '93 Probe would drop to idle once the clutch was down, but it probably (99.9999%) doesn't have those emissions gadgets in it.
    2011 WRX 5-door, stock, 2.5L 265hp turbo

Previous vehicles:
    1998 Cadillac Seville STS, 4.6L 300hp (for sale!)
    1995 Hyundai Elantra GLS, 1.8L 124hp

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

KHP
    Yeah... It's crazy how much thought the manufacturer put into new cars that only a few people notice.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by L37 View Post
    I was driving my '11 WRX (non STi) to work this morning. After it warmed up (temp between C and H), I noticed that when I press the clutch fully, the engine rpm drops to about 2000, vs the 1000something/whatever lower value it idles at.
    "Drops" to 2000? You mean jumps up to 2000, right? Last time I checked 2000 was more than 1000.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

L37
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    "Drops" to 2000? You mean jumps up to 2000, right? Last time I checked 2000 was more than 1000.....
    When I am cruising in which the RPM is around 3k, pressing the clutch brings it down to around 2k, vs the sub-1000 usual idle.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.
    2011 WRX 5-door, stock, 2.5L 265hp turbo

Previous vehicles:
    1998 Cadillac Seville STS, 4.6L 300hp (for sale!)
    1995 Hyundai Elantra GLS, 1.8L 124hp

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.