getting replacement motor couple quick questions

This is a discussion on getting replacement motor couple quick questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so im reposting regarding my wrx, i posted a while back telling my story on how i bought an 04 ...

Exclamation getting replacement motor couple quick questions

so im reposting regarding my wrx, i posted a while back telling my story on how i bought an 04 wrx and the motor started knocking three days later.. 106,xxx miles on car. i was considering doing the shortblock on my own using a friends garage but i lost access to the garage so i decided i had to take a loan out to get the motor replaced.... my main questions and reason for this post is, how/what can i do to prevent this from happening again? when i bought this car i pulled out a loan and i will be paying for the car and the new engine for a while...
    i cannot affored to have this happen again if possible.. i felt like i did alot of reasearch on a wrx before i bought this and didnt even find anything on rod knock (somehow) and now that it happened to me i see i am one among a million.
    is the ej205 a garbage motor? because it seems like everyones has blown up at some point in time.

so all in all i just want to ask everyones opinion on what i can do to take good care of my engine and prevent another costly failure.

thank you everyone for any and all replies it is much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The ej motors are very reliable considering how much added stress they experence... A well maintained wrx/sti that is treated right should have no problem hitting the 200k mile mark... My guess is you bought a used one that was beat up and modified incorectly and returned back to "stock" and pawned off on the next owner... The used market for these cars is saturated with the bad apples of the many good ones out there... I had tje same thing happen to me and after its fixed.you'll have a LOT more love and respect for it... Good luck man and enjoy your car...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

hey i really appreciate that man thank you. well when bought it it had and currently does, a magnaflow turbo back? i believe, and gauge cluster and apexi timer, nothing more that i am aware of??

so what would you suggest that i do to keep this car running strong and true? i do typically take good care of my cars but iv never had a subbie or turbocharged car for that matter.

what oil do you or anyone else recommend?

bump?

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by natedawgg View Post
    what oil do you or anyone else recommend?
    It's hard to recommend an oil to use. People can recommend oil specifically by brand loyalty, but that alone will not guarantee that it will work well with your engine. One oil may work well with one engine and not so well in another. If you're really curious about oils. You should run an oil you currently trust (5w-30 or 5w-40 weight, synthetic is preferred though not required unless you have a 2011 wrx) and send a used oil sample to a lab and see what the results are. That's the only real way to find out what oil is working well or not.
    Last edited by KHP; 10-03-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)