Bad Odometer

This is a discussion on Bad Odometer within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just noticed today my odometer will not increment and is stuck on 107447. Speedometer is working fine and the resettable ...

Bad Odometer

Just noticed today my odometer will not increment and is stuck on 107447. Speedometer is working fine and the resettable odometer (the one above your total mileage i dont know what it is called) is working as well..

I believe this problem started when I cleaned the corrosion from my battery and removed the + and - nodes.

Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    So both A and B trip odometers are working, the car is otherwise OK, the speedo is working, but the main odometer is not? Interesting. Taken together these things imply the connection to the gearbox is OK, the ECU is OK, and disconnecting the battery itself should not give you this effect (the battery is disconnected routinely for service, replacement, etc.).

I would suspect either the connection to the instruments behind the cluster or another electrical problem, maybe with the odometer itself.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Is this something I can troubleshoot or best be taken to a tech? I have little to no expertise in working on cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know what you'd be facing. The simplest thing to do is to disconnect the battery, remove the cluster, and disconnect then reconnect the harnesses to the cluster. I'd also have a look at the main ECU harness (passenger side leg area). Then I'd simply put everything back together, connect the battery, and depending on the results, either rejoice or drive the car to a tech...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.