P1230 and PINGING when under boost!!!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on P1230 and PINGING when under boost!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i purchased the car about a month ago and it had many issues with it, well i took care ...

P1230 and PINGING when under boost!!!

So i purchased the car about a month ago and it had many issues with it, well i took care of everything but these last 2 issues. first i keep getting a CEL code #p1230 (which says, AIR FUEL METERING) now i have researched it, and correct me if im wrong, but i read its either a vacuum leak or my Mass Air Flow... and then there is the PINGING! i cant even enjoy my car because as soon as i start to hit 3-4psi the car starts pinging and i cannot ruin this car since it is my daily... any help is good help guys... thank you in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

P1230 -fuel pump controller malfunction, i can pull the procedure for you if you want. It looks like mostly its a bad connection, bad ground a short somewhere in the circuit. Definently gonna need access to a DMM.
    Last edited by scoobaru03; 09-28-2011 at 07:37 AM.
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely do not boost the car with this condition.

"From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

beat me too it yea i asked the master mechanic here at my shop about the code and the pinging. He said hell yea that'll cause a ping becuase you'll have low fuel pressure causing a detonation which will make the car run lean. Good luck!

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

I Support ClubWRX
    As far as the "pinging", I'm not sure if it is related. Sometimes wastegate flutter can sound like pinging until you get used to it. If it is actually pinging due to detonation then that can cause instant death in a boosted car.

The best way to tell is by looking at the data the ECU stores and or logging the car. A tactrix cable is the most affordable way to do this, and you may well be able to borrow one in your area or find someone who can do a simple learning view etc.

Thank you so much for the quick response guys! im lovin this forum already!.. but that makes sense tho, when i have my key on "ACC" my pump stays on and wont shut off until i start the car then it starts to work appropriatley. there is a local shop in town with the Tactrix cable so i should be takin it to them tonight and puttin the car on the dyno so i can get some better readings

mycologist ive been meaning to ask what in gods name is that in your picture?

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't put the car on the dyno unless it checks out and I'd fix the CEL issue first as well.

Have them run learning view - the car doesn't even need to be running. Your IAM should be at 16 and there should not be major knock correction figures in the table. Your A/F learning should be <5%

It should look like this:

so this chart you posted here^^^ is that something similar to what mine should look like once the tactrix cable is hooked up?

we werent going to do hard passes on the dyno more like just regular driving but not on the street, that way we can see how everything is functioning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobaru03 View Post
    mycologist ive been meaning to ask what in gods name is that in your picture?
    It is a fish-a-pod.

Tiktaalik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bug_02 View Post
    so this chart you posted here^^^ is that something similar to what mine should look like once the tactrix cable is hooked up?
    That is the output from the free program "learning view" which can be easily run with the tactrix cable without even starting the car. It shows the long term learning and basically tells you if you have any serious issues that have required long term or major correction. IAM is a good global indicator of car's health - if it is less that 16 then the car has been experiencing enough detontation for the ECU to detune the car. The table with zeros shows finer learning - it should not be populated with a bunch of red numbers even if the IAM is at 16. The A/F learning shows how long term fueling looks - i.e. if you CEL is causing an issue there will be major corrections there.

Here is a link to the program: RomRaider &bull; View topic - UTILITY: Learning View (version 0.6a 03-21-09)

Here is how you can look at your car's performance in real time by logging:
    Datalogging with Romraider:

thank you very much! if the tuner im going to doesn't have this i will run it by him and make sure my car gets fixxed correctly.. i really appreciate the info guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem!

well help me out with this real quick.... the car has a three inch downpipe, full 3 inch exhaust system with test pipe and headers and up pipe... and a KNOCK OFF BOV.. the previous owner also has a Grimm Speed boost solonoid and may have had it hooked up wrong. so since i dont think the car has been tuned, i have boost running straight from the wastegate, omitting the boost solonoid... you think that may contribute to my issues??

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast