P1230 and PINGING when under boost!!! - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on P1230 and PINGING when under boost!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How about you address the handling and braking next so the car is actually balanced with the additional power?...

How about you address the handling and braking next so the car is actually balanced with the additional power?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That seems like I would be spending money for autocross and honestly, no much of that happens here in my city, its more straight aways than anything. I eventually will upgrade those, but not at this time..

BOOST FIEND!!!

Congrats on the fix mayne told ya that pinging would go away
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

Thanks bro, I appreciate it! So far its good, no pingin yet, I'm only running off wastegate, because the car is not tuned for the Grimm Speed EBC it has... But now I have a misfire in cylinders 2, if its not one thing, its another! lol

BOOST FIEND!!!

aw man no way fix one thing something else has to break lol have you started getting into diagnosing the misfire yet?
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

I know right! That's what happens when you start upgrading tho lol... Well I messed with the coils, just to make sure none were loose or unplugged. Erased the code and it hasn't came up yet. But I don't know if its me that I'm paranoid, but I swear I thought I heard the ping again .. do these cars have knock sensors?

BOOST FIEND!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes these cars have knock sensors.

Ok, so since it has a knock sensor it should be throwing a CEL if the car is pingin/detonating??

BOOST FIEND!!!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bug_02 View Post
    Ok, so since it has a knock sensor it should be throwing a CEL if the car is pingin/detonating??

BOOST FIEND!!!
    Not unless it is really bad. It will pull timing & boost first. Post your learning view and we can see. All you need to do is download the software, plug in your cable, and save a screenshot to post.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    The ECU retards timing and reduces boost pressure as a reactive responce to a "knock event" but it does not generate a CEL/DTC when it does so. Only if there is an issue with the knock sensor itself is a DTC initiated. With a OBDII cable and logging software you can easilly see if a knock event happened by checking IAM,Fine Learning Knock Correction,Feedback Knock Correction or Knock Sum on the 32bit ECU models. If you what to know if it's knocking right away datalog the car or buy a Knock light/Knock Link. Some aftermakret Engine Management like the Utec or Ecutek had the ability to use the CEL as knock indicator by flashing it really fast.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Ok, so if the k.icon sensor is bad I will get a CEL? I need to get this learning view thing.. I need to figure out how to pull it up first

BOOST FIEND!!!

That seems like I would be spending money for autocross and honestly, no much of that happens here in my city, its more straight aways than anything. I eventually will upgrade those, but not at this time..

BOOST FIEND!!!
    Upgrading your suspension and braking when you upgrade your power has nothing to do with autox. It has everything to do with the fact you're adding power to a car that doesn't have suspension or brakes designed for it. Given your reference in every post to boost fiending, I can only assume you're adding the power so you can drive the car harder/faster. That requires better brakes to slow it down and suspension to make it handle safely with the harder/faster drivign.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The ECU retards timing and reduces boost pressure as a reactive responce to a "knock event" but it does not generate a CEL/DTC when it does so. Only if there is an issue with the knock sensor itself is a DTC initiated. With a OBDII cable and logging software you can easilly see if a knock event happened by checking IAM,Fine Learning Knock Correction,Feedback Knock Correction or Knock Sum on the 32bit ECU models. If you what to know if it's knocking right away datalog the car or buy a Knock light/Knock Link. Some aftermakret Engine Management like the Utec or Ecutek had the ability to use the CEL as knock indicator by flashing it really fast.
    Ah, I thought there was also a CEL if the IAM got low enough to enter safe fueling mode (at 4/16) - sorry for the misinformation.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Upgrading your suspension and braking when you upgrade your power has nothing to do with autox. It has everything to do with the fact you're adding power to a car that doesn't have suspension or brakes designed for it. Given your reference in every post to boost fiending, I can only assume you're adding the power so you can drive the car harder/faster. That requires better brakes to slow it down and suspension to make it handle safely with the harder/faster drivign.
    Yeah I understand what your saying, but that's just a signature, and I won't be driving my car hard since it can barely handle any power anyways, it will just be an every now and then highway car

BOOST FIEND!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.