P1230 and PINGING when under boost!!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on P1230 and PINGING when under boost!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I.e a line running straight from the turbo to the wastegate actuator? That is just going to limit your boost ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I.e a line running straight from the turbo to the wastegate actuator? That is just going to limit your boost to the wastegate spring pressure (~7psi) and may be a reasonable safety measure until you get everything sorted out.

I'm not sure about how the BCS was hooked up, but most people who know enough to run one do have a tune for it. You can find out if your car was tuned with the cable - download the map that is on the ECU and look at basic stuff like target boost, WGDC. Or upload it somewhere and we can look at it for you.

Edit - the way you have the line might make the wastegate flutter more (no harm, just noise), and may explain the sound you are hearing - don't count on it though and still check for det.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-28-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yeah i was wondering why the heck i could hear my wastegate so much lol, it sounds pretty cool,, but i definitely hear the det still there... i really hope i get this fixed tonight... ill keep you posted

I Support ClubWRX
    Let me know how it goes.

So I went to the dyno, changed my plugs, oil, car is still pinging... This is stressful already.. still getting P1230 (which is air fuel metering code) and now I'm also gettin a P0546 (which is bank 1 sensor heat etc)... I ordered my tactrix cable so I can pull the map on the car and see if its ever been tweaked, my wideband is going in tomorrow as well

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Instead of messing around with a wideband at this point you need to fix the issue with the fuel pump controller or whatever is causing that code. The other code is from the front EGT sensor in the uppipe. Look from under the passenger wheel well there is an observation window - remove the cover and you can see if it is a stock uppipe and if the EGT is installed. With an aftermarket uppipe there is no need for a sensor there (it monitors the cat.) and therefore the CEL is disabled with most tuning options.

I wonder if this car was reverted to stock in a half-assed way.

Well I got the wideband to monitors if the car is running lean, because that may also cause pinging... As for the uppipe. It is an aftermarket one, and the EGT is still connected to it, should I unbolt it from the uppipe and just let it hang there? And yeah thats why I just went ahead and ordered the tactrix cable, I need to pull the map the car is running on, for all I know it may be ****ty tuning with to much dam timing! Lol

I Support ClubWRX
    You should pull the sensor out and replace it with a bolt. You can search for "resistor mod" or disable the CEL on your map and reflash it with your cable when it comes.

You car simply isn't going to run right without taking care of the other CEL issue regardless of what other issues there are. That is the starting point - a wideband is a fine idea for the future but why are you looking for other issues when you have a known issue and haven't dealt with it? It is pretty safe to say that you have an A/F issue given that your fuel pump controller isn't operating correctly. You won't know whether the timing is ok until you have the correct fueling.

Post up your learning view as soon as you get it and don't log any hard pulls with the wideband until after that.

Ok, ill do that.. hopefully soon, its frustrating not being able to enjoy this car.. apparently my MAF is not an issue, I was told if the MAF goes bad the car will pretty much not run. Is this true? Now I'm hunting down vacuum leaks..

I Support ClubWRX
    The learning view will show what is going on with the MAF.

Ok cool, hopefully I get it this Friday

BOOST FIEND!!

any update on the fuel pump controller??
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

No???.. I apologize for my stupidity, but I've never worked on a subaru.. where would I find the fuel pump controller??

BOOST FIEND!!

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    The car can still run if the MAF is bad. It can also cause detonation as your possibly experiencing. A friend of mine had a bad fuel pump and bad MAF and experienced low boost and detonation.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Dammit, I feel stupid, I bought that tactrix cable thinking it would help! This car is frustrating me... I need to check what fuel pump is in there and the MAF...

BOOST FIEND!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bug_02 View Post
    Dammit, I feel stupid, I bought that tactrix cable thinking it would help! This car is frustrating me... I need to check what fuel pump is in there and the MAF...

BOOST FIEND!!

I understand it is easy to get frustrated. The cable is going to be your best friend in your circumstance. You still HAVE to address the controller issue however.

Download the service manual here and use it along with the chart I posted before to fix your issue with the controller.

Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.