Squealing after brake job was done. :help: 2008 sti

This is a discussion on Squealing after brake job was done. :help: 2008 sti within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Last month i was visiting family in a different staye and I started hearing a small squealing so I took ...

Squealing after brake job was done. :help: 2008 sti

Last month i was visiting family in a different staye and I started hearing a small squealing so I took my car to a break shop since i had to leave that same day and it is about a 600 mile drive back home. He said I had barely anything left on my pads and replaced them for me since it was sunday and all dealers were closed. He said he has done these cars before and has had no problems so I was placated. Fast forward a month and the I can now hear a pretty loud squealing from the brakes but it sounds like its mostly just coming from my front left side but that may be just because thats the one im close to. The weird part is its only at certain speeds when im slowing down maybe at around 25-15 mph and never at high speeds or very low speeds but when it hits the sweet spot it is very loud. Any ideas what this might be caused by? Im scared to take it to the dealer since I dont want them to try and void the warranty on my brakes at least or charge me huge to replace them. Thanks and sorry for the wall of text.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Likely it's due to brake dust. Do the brakes perform fine? Do you have any idea what kind of pads were used? Have you verified the pads on the offending wheel are in fact replaced (i.e. nice and thick)?

Next time you're on the highway, brake very aggressively when you're slowing down to take your exit (after checking nobody is behind you). See if that clears up the squeal for a short time. If it does, it's likely because you've temporarily cleaned out the brake dust through the hard brakes. Many cars that primarily get driven in cities end up with brake squeal because they rarely undergo high speed hard braking like highway stops. Do you do mostly city driving?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Did they apply brake lube? Every time I've been asked to help fix squealing after a recent brake job, a little lube on the back of the pads has solved it...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I do drive primarily in the city but i have tried the hard braking thing cause i thought it might be that as well but it has not done any difference and has been happening for 2 weeks now. It does kind of come and go and never squeals while driving or while hard breaking but just during moderate braking at the speeds i was saying its really weird(at least to me). I will try the brake lube thing i have never heard of that before do you just get that at autozone or something? Thanks for all the help and sorry for the noob questions.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by windowblinds
    I will try the brake lube thing i have never heard of that before do you just get that at autozone or something? Thanks for all the help and sorry for the noob questions.
    They should.

I've always gotten it from NAPA; it comes in ketchup packets, and is green in color.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC