Help: Idle Air Control Valve

This is a discussion on Help: Idle Air Control Valve within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Got an 03 soob with 122k. Went out of town for the weekend and went on a 3 hr trip ...

Exclamation Help: Idle Air Control Valve

Got an 03 soob with 122k.

Went out of town for the weekend and went on a 3 hr trip after which I let the car sit for 2 days in a parking lot. When I got back to my car and proceeded to drive home I immediately notice choppy transitions between gears and rough idling. Check engine flash after 10 minutes of driving. Things improve once I got going on the highway and was able to make it home.

Drove it up to autozone this morning and the diagnosis said Idle Air Control Valve (P0519). The part is 500 bucks . The lady said I could take it off and clean it with some Electronic cleaner and that may fix the issue.

Has anyone had experience doing this?

The car wasn't idling rough this morning when I was running some errands and seemed to have adjusted.

How long could I go with the light on? Will this issue cause any other problems if I wait a couple weeks?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Till you replace or clean the IACV the CEL will most likely stay on. It shouldnt cause any other issues other than a rough idle. All that control valve is doing is measuring the air going past the throttle plate into the intake manifold. It makes sure your idle rpm is ok for the load on the engine. Heres a exploded view of the part its right on top of the Throttle Body. Oh yea be sure to get a gasket if and when you do replace it.
    Last edited by scoobaru03; 09-27-2011 at 05:11 AM.
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

I Support ClubWRX
    You can just clean it with air intake cleaner as well. If that doesn't work Rock auto has IAC valves for $300. Or try finding some used on Ebay or the classifieds on here or NASIOC.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781242
    Last edited by Donkey; 09-27-2011 at 05:11 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks for the help guys.

Is IACV fairly easy to get to and are there any step-by-step directions out there for dummies?

Step 1. Disconnect (-) Battery Cable
    Step 2. Disconnect connector from IAC valve
    Step 3. Remove IAC valve from throttle body
    Step 4. Remove gasket from throttle body

Install in reverse order. The 2 bolts you take off get torqued to 2.1ft. lbs. Make sure engine is cold too there is coolant running underneath of the IAC valve. And yes its right on top of the throttle body very easy access.

By dummies for dummies
    Last edited by scoobaru03; 09-27-2011 at 01:50 PM.

There is a good write up over on nasioc.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EDGEWRX03 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys.

Is IACV fairly easy to get to and are there any step-by-step directions out there for dummies?
    I take it you did not bother to click on the link I posted?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S