2011 Wrx Steering Issues - Wobble, Steering Tilt, Loose Control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 Wrx Steering Issues - Wobble, Steering Tilt, Loose Control within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, I am a proud owner of a new 2011 wrx sedan. Ever since i got the car from ...

Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates

Red face 2011 Wrx Steering Issues - Wobble, Steering Tilt, Loose Control

Hello all,
    I am a proud owner of a new 2011 wrx sedan. Ever since i got the car from the showroom i have had a steering issue. The issue is as below -

1. the steering is tilted towards the right.
    2. the car pulls towards the right and requires normal steering force to keep the steering straight.
    3. when i accelerate, the steering wobbles a bit till i reach a constant speed.
    4. while changing lanes or steering, the car seems out of control.

i know i should be taking it to the dealer for warranty check and replacement, but before i do so and before (and if) they claim its 'normal' i would like to know if you guys have had the same issue before.

just for more info, i have not hit the car on any curb or driven over sand or anything of that sort at all.

thanks in advance guys!
    "Donít think of the WRX as 'STI Light'; instead, think of the STI as 'WRX Maximum'.Ē - Andrew Ganz

Subaru WRX '11 Sedan
    Owned: RS Clio 197 '09, Civic VTi '09, Ibiza Cupra '01, Civic Si '93, Laurel '82

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have not had any issues with the steering wheel.Has there ever been any damage to the tires or suspension?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Nope...never. no bang, no speed bumps, nothing. its done only 2500 kms. its been this way from the time i drove out of the showroom but never cared to notice until 2 days later.
    "Donít think of the WRX as 'STI Light'; instead, think of the STI as 'WRX Maximum'.Ē - Andrew Ganz

Subaru WRX '11 Sedan
    Owned: RS Clio 197 '09, Civic VTi '09, Ibiza Cupra '01, Civic Si '93, Laurel '82

your car should be smooth and planted.. granted they're all under damped but in no way should the car feel like its out of control or pull or shake.

Something is definitely not right. I'd lean on the alignment not being right.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

do you think the symptoms of my car incline towards alignment issues? i feel the same as well. but i dunno if wobbling and loose handling would also be in the same bucket as alignment. but what do i know? im the one asking questions! lol!

the car does seem planted, around curves, but also feels a bit out of control. i had a clio RS before this, and that car was quite on the road, but ofcourse its smaller, lighter and stiffer (both chassis and suspensions) but at least the wrx should be quite close if not the same.
    Last edited by demonik; 09-26-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Subaru WRX '11 Sedan

I would be at the dealership immediately!
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by demonik View Post
    do you think the symptoms of my car incline towards alignment issues? i feel the same as well. but i dunno if wobbling and loose handling would also be in the same bucket as alignment. but what do i know? im the one asking questions! lol!
    Alignment has a great deal to do with road holding and stability as well as driver feel. Dead easy sign the alignment could be out is tire wear. Though, you dont really have a lot of mileage on the car so might not be terribly apparent yet unless its way out. These cars see a long trip from factory floor to destination.. sometimes they're not loaded or secured properly.. or abused moving to/from ship or on truck to destination. If something in the suspension is bent and the geometry is off (throwing the alignment) that can certainly yield odd stability or vibration problems. Just because you haven't hit a pothole with it doesn't mean the guy that drove it off the ship didn't slam it into/over something.

Tires with defects or shifted belts cold also have that shimmy/vibration effect and sometimes if severe enough could cause instability. I'd bank on alignment first though.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

thanks twister and mango...ill take it to the dealer and let you guys know what happened...

Subaru WRX '11 Sedan

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Just because you haven't hit a pothole with it doesn't mean the guy that drove it off the ship didn't slam it into/over something.
    I can attest to this. Friendly word of advice from someone in that industry: If you ever ship a car via ocean transport, ALWAYS have it containerized. Pay that extra money. After watching those guys during roll on roll off operations, I would never trust them with my keys.

Definitely take the car back to the dealership demonik, that isn't normal.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Make sure you mention that your car still pulls when your not on a crowned road. It sounds as tho one of your front tires has an internal problem..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    I can attest to this. Friendly word of advice from someone in that industry: If you ever ship a car via ocean transport, ALWAYS have it containerized. Pay that extra money. After watching those guys during roll on roll off operations, I would never trust them with my keys.

Definitely take the car back to the dealership demonik, that isn't normal.
    I agree Anub. I will get this checked. I just pray that its only a simple issue and not a crazy tie rod, sway bar, or steering column issue. I did a bit of a reading online as well. Guess this would help the others -
    Signs of a Bad Car Alignment | eHow.com
    Does your car do this?* Common symptoms and what to do about them
    Wheel Alignment and* Wheel Balancing

I know im freaking out but paying AED 114,000 - USD 31,232 for a ride and having these issues are quite disturbing. Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Make sure you mention that your car still pulls when your not on a crowned road. It sounds as tho one of your front tires has an internal problem..
    Possibly. But this is mostly, if not always, due to misalignment.

But thanks guys for your advice. I can only take it to the dealer next week by Sunday (we work on sunday and have offs on friday and saturday) and spend the whole day getting this fixed. My vacation starts then as well so will have ample time!

Subaru WRX '11 Sedan

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You have a right to be upset dude, but hopefully the dealer won't give you the run around and treats you right. Usually with brand new cars they do pretty well.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

GUYS! i took the car to a local certified workshop. The technician checked it out and adjusted the steering using a wrench and voila...its fine. the vibration is gone, the steering is straight and the car rides straight as a pencil on the road! The icing on the cake was that he didnt charge me for it, said it was at no cost since there was no much work and was a very very minor issue. I tipped him anyways for his expertise.

So basically, if any one else has the same symptoms...its quite likely its alignment!

Thanks a lot guys for your info and support, im again a happy subbie guy!!!
    Last edited by demonik; 09-27-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Subaru WRX '11 Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by demonik
    GUYS! i took the car to a local certified workshop. The technician checked it out and adjusted the steering using a wrench and voila...its fine. the vibration is gone, the alignment is straight and the car is straight as a pencil on the road! The icing on the cake was that he didnt charge me for it, said it was at no cost since there was no much work and was a very very minor issue. I tipped him anyways for his expertise.

So basically, if any one else has the same symptoms...its quite likely its alignment!

Thanks a lot guys for your info and support, im again a happy subbie guy!!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Great news
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.