2011 WRX Turbo issue?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Turbo issue? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello! Long time since I posted here. I had a 2010 WRX and this had the same issue so I ...

2011 WRX Turbo issue?

Hello! Long time since I posted here. I had a 2010 WRX and this had the same issue so I don't know if its the gas here in town or what.

When driven relatively moderate under WOT, 1st and 2nd gear mostly, I hear a rattling ticking sound only when the turbo spools up.

My 2010 was bad, and caused severe lag issues. Now that I traded in the 2010 for a 2011, its starting to do the same thing. I don't beat on my cars, but wondering if its a fuel issue.

Is there any bulletin on this? Only happens under load, and past 3k rpm

Darryl
    2006 Subaru WRX Rally Blue
    1998 Jeep XJ
    1972 Ford Gran Torino 351CJ-4V

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Could be a rattling from a heatshield or something. You're no doubt still under warranty, I'd take it back to them and tell them to fix it.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

That's what I thought, like a simple heatshield issue, however on my old 2010 it had lag when the sound was produced, like bogging a LOT.

I will get this checked out for sure, just wanted to get some advice before I send it in. Thank you Anubis.
    1998 Jeep XJ

Complete shot in the dark, but it may be what hapened to me... So please bare with me...

A couple of months after i first got my wrx i noticed a ratteling sound at WOT... Nine months later, I get a cylinder 4 misfire code and right when the light turned on i heard a light tick tick sound comming from the engine bay... After lots of deadend diagnosis, i took it into the dealership and had the engine torn down and there was my problem, a warped piston and scrached cylinder wall... Durring my research, I read that the ej255 has had a small track record for piston warping (dont get me wrong, it is not a common issue by any means) yet it sounds VERY simular to what happened to me...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Oh wow, good to know dude. Thank you. I'll keep this in mind. My car only has 20,000 kms (11,500 miles) on it.
    1998 Jeep XJ

Yeah no problem man... I'm hoping for the best for you, but your still under warranty so even if it ends up going in that bad of a situation have them install a new shortblock... I did and mine runs absolutley perfect now and restored my faith in Subaru's reliability... I am the car's 2nd owner and it was technically still under the powertrain warranty, but didn't work out in my favor... It ruined my faith in SOA, but what can ya do.... At least I tried and I got it fixed...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    What fuel are you running?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a rattling sound in 1st & 2nd.I was told that it was the heat shield.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

New car = dealership... Don't be proud. You could do something that could void a warranty
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    What fuel are you running?
    Either Shell's 91 or most of the time - Chevron' 94.

Now, I forgot to mention that when it's colder out, there is no rattle and bog.

When its humid and warmer, it produces this sound. Don't you think that if its a heat shield it would be doing this all the time?
    1998 Jeep XJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by soobie View Post
    Either Shell's 91 or most of the time - Chevron' 94.

Now, I forgot to mention that when it's colder out, there is no rattle and bog.

When its humid and warmer, it produces this sound. Don't you think that if its a heat shield it would be doing this all the time?
    Not necessarily. Warmer outside temps can make things behave differently, especially rubber. It could be that the rubber exhaust hangers are changing just enough when it's warm out to allow enough movement for the heatshield to vibrate on something. Regardless though, I'd take it in to Subaru. Just tell them where it's coming from and under what conditions. Have them take you along on the drive so you can point it out to them.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Complete shot in the dark, but it may be what hapened to me... So please bare with me...

A couple of months after i first got my wrx i noticed a ratteling sound at WOT... Nine months later, I get a cylinder 4 misfire code and right when the light turned on i heard a light tick tick sound comming from the engine bay... After lots of deadend diagnosis, i took it into the dealership and had the engine torn down and there was my problem, a warped piston and scrached cylinder wall... Durring my research, I read that the ej255 has had a small track record for piston warping (dont get me wrong, it is not a common issue by any means) yet it sounds VERY simular to what happened to me...
    same exact issue with my 2005 ej257

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Not necessarily. Warmer outside temps can make things behave differently, especially rubber. It could be that the rubber exhaust hangers are changing just enough when it's warm out to allow enough movement for the heatshield to vibrate on something. Regardless though, I'd take it in to Subaru. Just tell them where it's coming from and under what conditions. Have them take you along on the drive so you can point it out to them.
    Thank you!

But what are the chances of something VERY similar happening to my old 2010 and this new 2011? So either something mechanical and very coincidental or something simple like a heatshield.

I'll keep everyone posted!

D
    1998 Jeep XJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I have a rattling sound in 1st & 2nd.I was told that it was the heat shield.
    with what I have been thru with subaru, I would demand the heatshield be removed to prove the sound going away

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    with what I have been thru with subaru, I would demand the heatshield be removed to prove the sound going away
    Definitely this.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast