2011 WRX steering wheel vibration

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX steering wheel vibration within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys I'm new to the site. I have a problem and was hoping someone could help! Sorry for long ...

2011 WRX steering wheel vibration

Hi guys

I'm new to the site. I have a problem and was hoping someone could help! Sorry for long post ...

I just bought a 2011 WRX (WR Blue - sedan - less than 4 wks ago around 2000 mi now). Absolutely love the car. However, the other day I was driving on the highway where there was some construction. Over a five mile stretch they had a "bump" sign about every mile. For the 1st four signs, I put my hazards on and slowed down only to realize there was no real bump. Then I came upon the 5th sign and decided not to slow down as much. That was a mistake because there was maybe a 1-2 inch up seam that ran across my lane. I tried to hit the brakes but it was too late and I went over it with a spine jamming thud.

Since then I have had a vibration (or maybe one could even explain it as a wobble) in my steering wheel that I can also feel through the floor board/pedals ( just trying to explain that it's not just the steering wheel). I 1st noticed it going 75 mph or above after the incident. I also noticed the car felt a little twitchy at highway speeds. I brought it to a subaru dealer who told me that the Rt rear wheel was out of balance & rebalanced it, but this did not fix the issue. Then I brought it to my Subaru dealer (was traveling previously) and he rebalanced the tires again using the "high speed" balancing machine. He also said that the rims were not bent/damaged. I got the car back yesterday and it's still doing the same thing. It's actually getting worse - I can now feel it at 65 mph and above. I'm going to bring it back to them on Tuesday to look at it again.

I was wonder if anyone out there has had the same issue and if so what was it and how was it fixed?

I'm assuming they'll check the alignment this time around ( but have not heard of that causing vibration/wobble). I've also read about the steal belts in the tires "slipping" - but wouldn't they see/diagnose that during the balancing?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did they check your suspension at the dealership?Could possibly be an alignment issue.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

It's either a bent wheel or a bad tire, my guess would be tire, probably broke a belt.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    hi wussola, i have had this issue ever since i got the car from the showroom! Its done only 2500 kms and even the steering is inclined to the right side. I normally face this most when i accelerate and it seems less when its at normal (60mph) speeds. the steering also feels quite out of control during the drive. i probably will take it to the dealer later this month and if it gets resolved ill advice you as well.

in case it gets resolved, please do post it up. would love to know the reason.
    "Donít think of the WRX as 'STI Light'; instead, think of the STI as 'WRX Maximum'.Ē - Andrew Ganz

Subaru WRX '11 Sedan
    Owned: RS Clio 197 '09, Civic VTi '09, Ibiza Cupra '01, Civic Si '93, Laurel '82

Demon, take there car back....
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to take it in tomorrow and go for a test drive with the service manager.

Also, I'm noticing it gets worse the longer I drive. ?'ing if I did something to the tire that shows it's ugly head when the tired is at operating/highway temperate?

I'll let you know how it goes!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Wussola, i got my car fixed, just a minor alignment issue. i doubt if yours should be anything different.
    "Donít think of the WRX as 'STI Light'; instead, think of the STI as 'WRX Maximum'.Ē - Andrew Ganz

Subaru WRX '11 Sedan
    Owned: RS Clio 197 '09, Civic VTi '09, Ibiza Cupra '01, Civic Si '93, Laurel '82

Wobbling in the steering wheel is a front axle/wheel issue.

Wobbling in the seat back (i.e. nobody in your passenger seat and the back wobbles) is a rear axle/wheel issue.

It probably one of 3 things:
    1. You threw a wheel weight off a front wheel.
    2. You bent one or both of your front wheels.
    3. You damaged your tire and caused a bubble or some other type of damage.

Alignment issues don't cause wobbling. Wheel issues do.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Well went for a test drive with the service manager yesterday. He still thinks that it might be a balance issue and said that they are getting in the Road Force tire machine in a week and that they will re-check the wheels then. In the mean time I asked them if they would rotate the wheel so I could see if it resolved moving the current front wheels to the back (? a front tire issue). I then took it for another test drive and the vibration/wobble is definitely worse ... you can see my watch shacking on my wrist. So I guess I'm going to have to wait ...

Demonik ... that's interesting that you say that. I personally didn't think that alignment had much to do with vibration/wobble. When I mentioned my issue to a few people the 1st thing they said was "check the alignment" that they had the same issue that was fix with alignment. I've asked the dearship multiple times if they could check the alignment and they've been resistant. I'm almost ready to go to a shop that has an alignment machine and shell out the $60 for peace of mind.

Vibration primarily do not relate to alignment as much as damaged tyre, wheel balance or damaged rims. my car wobbled when i used to push from 20 kmph to 100 kmph (basically when i accelerate) but not so much or hardly noticeable at consistent speeds.

one more thing though, the wobble/vibration in the pedals isnt normal. i guess i missed that symptom. Have it checked by the dealer as they would be the best people to identify the issue. USD 60 may bring you a peace of mind but, if the issue is more complicated, it wont serve the purpose other than isolating the issue and losing on the 60 bucks. my dealer from where i bought the car is 150 kms away from where i stay. that would cost me USD 30 for gas anyways. i would say i was plain lucky. but the practical thing to do, which i didnt, was run to a workshop and got it rectified.

Subaru WRX '11 Sedan

Well the dealership was not getting the road force machine in for some time. So I took it to a local tire shop. They road forced all four wheels and made some minor adjustments. Took it for a spin and there's no change in the problem. I brought it back and had them check the alignment. They said the front toe was off on the left. Took it for another test drive and again did not fix the problem. Now I'm getting to my wits end. Not sure what to do. I'm thinking of brining it back to the dealer and have them go through the steering and suspension components.

In addition, when the tire place had my car up on a lift they did not adjust it for the side skirts and managed to damage them on both sides #!*%!. They said that they would fixed it. What's the best thing to do? A body shop said that they would heat the plastic to take the dents out, use "body work" and then paint and blend the areas in to match the car. I also called subaru to see if I could get new ones painted, but they said that they only come primed and I have to have them painted. I'm worried that they paint won't match the car. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!