Just bought a WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just bought a WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've read the stickies on oils but i'm still confused. I understand that the diff and tranny can be a ...

Just bought a WRX

I've read the stickies on oils but i'm still confused. I understand that the diff and tranny can be a little picky with what type of fluids are used so i figured i would post exactly what i got and how i plan on using it and maybe get some specific recommendations as to what types of fluids i should use and why. I would like to know what kind of engine oil, tranny fluid and diff fluid i should buy.

I have an 04 wrx. Currently the only mods are:

aem intake
    perrin up pipe - catless
    turbo back exhaust
    cobb stage 1 tune
    There may be other mods that i'm not thinking of right now....

I don't drive the car like i stole it. It will be my DD. I have an exceptionally short drive to work (3~ min). I'm not planning on modding for more hp or trq. I won't be doing any track competition either.

The car currently has 141k kms on it (88k miles). The previous owner told me he was using mobil1 synth 5w30 during winter and 10w30 in summer. I didn't ask him about tranny or diff fluid.

In any case, based on the situation, what would you suggest i use? I don't want this to turn into a 39 page discussion on which oil is better. I just want to know what a cost effective but yet SAFE and RELIABLE fluid is for each application.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Oil: I would look at a 0W-30, 0W-40, or 5W-40 year-round. You can also simply use 5W-30 year round. Some people burn up M1 5W-30 but there are others that don't, and there are other options. I use a 5W-40 but have also been fine with a 0W-40. M1 makes both; Shell makes a good 5W-40 also.

Gear oils: Valvoline regular 75W-90 GL5 year-round.

Coolant: Subaru super coolant (blue) or regular Subaru coolant (green) in that order of preference. Add Subaru coolant conditioner.

For a short commute, keep the motor oil changes relatively frequent (I'd start at 4,000 miles and do a used oil analysis to see if that's OK, and go from their recommendations based on the data then).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Blackstone labs is your friend... they can send you a kit for free, you put some of your used oil in it when you do your next oil change, and they analyze it and make recommendations. The oil you use might be perfectly fine but having it analyzed is the only way to know for sure. For trans and diff, I use Subaru Super-S synthetic, I feel that Subaru knows what's best for their cars in most cases so it seemed like a safe bet.

Side note...Make sure that is a Stage 2 tune, a stage 1 is not what you should have
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

thanks for the quick response. the gear oils you suggested that will work in both the tranny and the diff?

Quote Originally Posted by kajun View Post
    thanks for the quick response. the gear oils you suggested that will work in both the tranny and the diff?
    Yes, they require the same oil, assuming it's not an automatic
    Stink eye mob #727

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Yes, they require the same oil, assuming it's not an automatic
    ah okay. yeah sorry forgot to specify it's 5spd. thanks for the responses both of you. I've been reading a lot about different oils and there seems to be a LOT of suggestions and debate on what to run but i'm sure it's all for different applications. I'm wondering if i'll even be able to buy any of these oils locally cause we don't have a subaru dealer in town, hah. Furthermore the only place i could really go is canadian tire.

Blackstone labs is your friend... they can send you a kit for free, you put some of your used oil in it when you do your next oil change, and they analyze it and make recommendations. The oil you use might be perfectly fine but having it analyzed is the only way to know for sure. For trans and diff, I use Subaru Super-S synthetic, I feel that Subaru knows what's best for their cars in most cases so it seemed like a safe bet.

Side note...Make sure that is a Stage 2 tune, a stage 1 is not what you should have
    Why do you say stage 2 tune? Sorry i'm still very new to this. I'll have to learn how to use the access port as well, hah.

I Support ClubWRX
    Why do you say stage 2 tune? Sorry i'm still very new to this. I'll have to learn how to use the access port as well, hah.
    Because of the exhaust mentioned. On Cobb's site they have maps with notes; read the map notes and match the map to your existing parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Because of the exhaust mentioned. On Cobb's site they have maps with notes; read the map notes and match the map to your existing parts.
    k thanks. i will do that.

ah okay. yeah sorry forgot to specify it's 5spd. thanks for the responses both of you. I've been reading a lot about different oils and there seems to be a LOT of suggestions and debate on what to run but i'm sure it's all for different applications. I'm wondering if i'll even be able to buy any of these oils locally cause we don't have a subaru dealer in town, hah. Furthermore the only place i could really go is canadian tire.
    Here's the gear oil I use. Subaru 75W90 Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid (extra-s, not super-s...sorry) It normally only comes in 5 gallon buckets but these guys sell it by the quart. Some of the other Subaru specific fluids could also probably be found online.
    Stink eye mob #727

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    on the map notes it mentions must use factory or cobb sf intake system only. No other aftermarket intakes are certified compatible. Thoughts?

on the map notes it mentions must use factory or cobb sf intake system only. No other aftermarket intakes are certified compatible. Thoughts?
    Because you have a turbo back exhaust you need the stage 2 tune, and you really shouldn't be using the intake because the map wasn't designed for it.
    Stink eye mob #727

Because you have a turbo back exhaust you need the stage 2 tune, and you really shouldn't be using the intake because the map wasn't designed for it.
    would you think it's necessary to put a stock intake in?

would you think it's necessary to put a stock intake in?
    Safer, for sure. If you have it I would. If not, I would look for a tuner (or online tuner) that could create a map for the intake
    Stink eye mob #727

Safer, for sure. If you have it I would. If not, I would look for a tuner (or online tuner) that could create a map for the intake
    okay, thanks for the advice. i don't have the stock intake so i guess i should see what i can find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast