trouble turning over
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on trouble turning over within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 09 wrx, running 93 oct. I'm still in the process of getting modded, but am thinking this ...

trouble turning over

I have an 09 wrx, running 93 oct. I'm still in the process of getting modded, but am thinking this might be a physical problem instead of an electronic one.

Mods:
    dw1000cc injectors
    aeromotive 340 fp
    aem cai
    avo turbo inlet
    gs crank pulley
    gs tgv deletes with 8mm spacers
    invidia dp
    nameless cbe
    gs ebcs
    forged bpv
    processwest tmic

The problem i'm having is that sometimes when i go to start the car, it will just crank, and won't start. it has happened with both a cold engine, and warm engine. At other times it will start up nice and quick.

I have noticed a slight odor as well at times. A slight gas smell, but also a coolant smell. I've been losing some coolant since i did the install, but have attributed that to the air pockets working themselves out.

once the car is started, it runs smooth, except for what i can only describe as small backfires. when the car starts fine, i don't hear that.

any help on what to do or look for will be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well we know that TGV deletes often cause problems with cold starting, but having an issue with warm starts may be due to something else. You may have a problem with one or more of your injectors. Leaking injectors often cause those small backfires you described. Too much fuel in the combustion chamber will also cause a non start (flooding), which is what causes that fuel smell.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

your tune is running to much fuel? small little back fires happened with my car often when the tune was rich, how much boost are you running with those mods?

I Support ClubWRX
    Either the tune still needs some kinks worked out or maybe the crank sensor is having an intermittent issue. No CEL/DTC's?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Ok, after I posted this, I had about 3 days of no issues at all. Then I had the start up issue about 4 times in one day.

My current boost level is at about 19psi.

No cels at all. After it starts up, it runs fine.

The tuner says he's not sure. the logs don't show anything. he sent me a new map, and I still have to try that, but it looks like we are at the end of the tune since he said if this log comes back fine, then we're going to start on the e85 tune.

Is there any test i can do on the injectors? I honestly don't want to take them out since it's a pita, but will do what i have to.

I highly doubt its the injectors, is your car throwing any codes?

I Support ClubWRX
    If it was the injectors the problem wouldn't just go away for a couple of days. I would try turning the car to "on" and letting the fuel pump prime first,then actually starting the car. Could be the fuel pump is bleeding of the fuel pressure/fuel in the line completely when turned off.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by blakekawalec View Post
    I highly doubt its the injectors, is your car throwing any codes?
    none at all

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    If it was the injectors the problem wouldn't just go away for a couple of days. I would try turning the car to "on" and letting the fuel pump prime first,then actually starting the car. Could be the fuel pump is bleeding of the fuel pressure/fuel in the line completely when turned off.
    i think the backfire thing is gone. I might have had a vacuum leak, and believe I fixed it.

a lot of times, when i have trouble starting, i do just that. let it sit in the on position then turn it on. is there a "fix" for this, or just one of those things?

since i installed new spark plugs when i did all of this, could they be gapped wrong?

i also notice that the mileage seems to be low. not sure if that's a result of this issue, or something else, or maybe it's normal after a tune.

any other ideas?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    none at all

i think the backfire thing is gone. I might have had a vacuum leak, and believe I fixed it.

a lot of times, when i have trouble starting, i do just that. let it sit in the on position then turn it on. is there a "fix" for this, or just one of those things?
    Fix what what? Not sure what your asking.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    since i installed new spark plugs when i did all of this, could they be gapped wrong?
    Well what are the plugs gapped at? If you don't know,we don't know. We can't check the plug gap for you over the interweb. I would go back and check every electrical connector you undid. Are you the guy who took his intake manifold off then the motor got filled with water?
    Last edited by Donkey; 10-02-2011 at 07:39 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Fix what what? Not sure what your asking.

Well what are the plugs gapped at? If you don't know,we don't know. We can't check the plug gap for you over the interweb. I would go back and check every electrical connector you undid. Are you the guy who took his intake manifold off then the motor got filled with water?
    by fix, i meant a way to do something so i don't have to let it sit for a bit before i can start her up.

i don't remember what i gapped them at. i will double check though. is an improper gap something that could cause this though?

and yes, that would be me. i had the water in the motor.

How'd the water get in the motor?

need help....please

cliffnote version: was doing work on car, had intake manifold off, hurricane showed up, water got in it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.