Oil burn question possible overfilled?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil burn question possible overfilled? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought a 2010 wrx I've modded it quoth Cobb stage2 plus hiflow intake, I recently got a oil ...

Oil burn question possible overfilled?

I recently bought a 2010 wrx I've modded it quoth Cobb stage2 plus hiflow intake,
    I recently got a oil change and I feel like the tech over filled my car. I was on a level surface, and warmed the car up for 5. Min or so then checked the oil. I also forgot to mention I was in early in the week asking about oil burning and the service manager told me it was normal that the turbo would burn some oil when I drive the car hard...... Am I crazy for thinking that a seal maybe leaking a minute amount or something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Park on a level surface, turn the motor off, and go do something else for 30 minutes or more. Go back and check the oil.

You have not stated any reason to suspect your car is burning oil. You have also not stated any reason to suspect the car was overfilled.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

After the oil change is checked it and it was about a inch over the max fill line, I've check it several times from cold to warmed up and letting it sit, it's been over the max fill still about a inch, the reason why I suspect it's burning oil is because now 2000 miles later I'm at the max fill line. My theory is that something is burning trace amounts of oil. And I asked at the beginning of my oil change why my oil level was so low at the lowest point on the dip stick. That's when he gave me the speceeal about the turbo burning oil. Keep in mine I haven't even had the car month yet

KHP
    Make sure you're measuring on a level surface and measure at the exact same spot every time to remove that variable. The best time to check your oil is in the morning before you crank the car(all the oil should have settled back in your oil pan).

I'm not sure how far above the full line you have to be before the oil start lathing on the crank. I heard one case where this happened. From the description it sounded like the oil foamed up and did some sort of damage.

Since you're on the full level now just keep watching if the level drops. If so then that's the point where you should begin to worry.

Just so you know I have a 2011 WRX with 10,500 miles on the clock. I have zero oil consumption(I check my oil level once a week).
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

See the first day I bought the car and checked the oil it was on the full mark on the dip stick. drove it hard for 1200 miles and I mean pretty hard then check the oil when I was gettin gas and boom then the oil was below the fill line. I know it's confusing but I feel like the dealership sold me ****ty car then when I asked about it they over filled it's that i wouldnt the oil consuption

After a little research look at what I found High Oil Consumption Subaru TSB 02-115-11 - NASIOC it states there was improper machining done on the head etc etc check it out

KHP
    It states on the manual that a certain amount of oil consumption is acceptable. I forgot how much is though (I would like to say 1 quart every 3000 miles ). It states that if you get oil consumption greater than what is specified then let your dealer know that the consumption amount is abnormally high.

I would suggest that you flash your car back to stock and install your factory intake until this issue is resolved. You don't want the dealer to use those mods against you at this point.
    Last edited by KHP; 09-15-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Yeah thanks! I just called them again and he keeps telling me its 1 quart for every 1000 miles if you drive it hard OMG lol. The dealership i go to is pretty legit they say as long as i keep my factory parts and can uninstall my ap they will warrenty it all.

I Support ClubWRX
    you should be fine with only losing a quart every 3,000 miles.. actually pretty normal throughout the brand range regardless of forced induction or NA. Honda service manuals state that a half quart every 1,000 miles is considered ok consumption.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

KHP
    I rechecked my manual and for a 2011 WRX. 1 quart every 1200 miles is acceptable. To me that seems a little high. You'll never need an oil change if your car consumed that much oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    I rechecked my manual and for a 2011 WRX. 1 quart every 1200 miles is acceptable. To me that seems a little high. You'll never need an oil change if your car consumed that much oil.
    LOL... You still need to swap a filter.. In all my years as a tech I never saw a car come close to what they deem acceptable, I wouldnt worry about it.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Bingo. 1qt every 1200 is acceptable on any car. Anything more than that and you have a problem.

I just passed my first 1,000 miles (YEEEAAAAHHHHHH!) and I've kept a close watch on my oil. As far as I can tell, I haven't lost a drop. It is even still a relatively nice golden brown (more brown than gold). All this talk of burning oil is scary stuff though. I don't drag race her or anything, though. To me, having a Subaru is just as important as having a WRX. The company has such a great reputation for longevity, all these mechanical issues make me nervous. Glad I have a good warranty, and I don't plan on modding her any time soon.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.