Is this a clutch issue?

This is a discussion on Is this a clutch issue? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I've recently bought a new WRX. I've noticed some strange behaviour when under heavy acceleration. For example, sitting ...

Is this a clutch issue?

Hi guys,

I've recently bought a new WRX. I've noticed some strange behaviour when under heavy acceleration. For example, sitting in 5th gear on the highway, travelling at just under 100km/h (around 3000rpm), I put the foot down to accelerate and overtake. The car does accelerate, but the rpm increase is what worries me. It seems to rev up faster than it should (i think to around 3700) and then drop back (say 3500) and continue on a steady climb. The car accelerates throughout this process. Is this clutch slippage or something else? I mostly notice it in 5th gear at the 3-4000 rpm range. I have noticed it in 3rd gear once in the same rev range, but not really in any other gears.

The car has a turboback exhaust, ecutek 1.5 and tein suspension (not that I imagine this would effect it)

Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    I'm guessing when you say new, you mean "new" to you? From your profile you have a 2003 WRX. So depending on the total odometer time on the car you maybe due for a clutch replacement.

It sounds to me that your clutch is toast.
    Last edited by KHP; 09-12-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, that's clutch slip.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Yeh sorry, new to me. Thought so, just thought I'd get your view before I went and forked out all that money.

It doesn't seem to be too severe at this point, is it bad to leave it for a little while, or will it last a bit longer? Most of my driving is highway driving so its not like the clutch gets a massive workout. It's got 145,000 km on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Technically you can drive it until it won't go forward anymore, but that doesn't make for very safe driving for one, since you don't exactly have immediate power available at any time. If you're nice to it you can probably get some more life out of it, just don't make it slip, that'll just make it worse.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Thanks for your help.

I'll sit on it for a bit, as the only time I've noticed it is when I'm putting it under heavy strain. That said, as soon as it starts becoming more common and actually effecting my driving i'll get it replaced.

Is it ok to buy aftermarket clutches from ebay etc.? Just trying to avoid the hefty proce I'll pay locally. I'm not after a heavy duty clutch or anything, as I'm not likely to do anymore power mods to my car (for what I'm doing, its plenty powerful as it is!).
    2003 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX MY03 5SP MT

-Lukey 3" S/S Turboback Exhaust
    -Intake Resonator Removed
    -Ecutek 1.5
    -TEIN FLEX Driving Spec "Control Master" Coilovers w/ EDFC
    -WORKEMOTION Wheels

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't tried eBay clutches. I would prefer OEM or equivalent. For the US cars the clutches are sourced from Exedy I believe. Some of the eBay stuff seems too hard core if you know what I mean, and you won't want that. You will want to stay with something as close to OEM as possible.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    No to eBay for sure. There's far too many sketchy products on there, not to mention sketchy sellers. I'd find an online dealer as they usually have better prices than local shops, that is if you intend to do the installation yourself.

I'd recommend an Exedy OEM replacement, personally. No pucked clutches, no staged clutches, just OEM replacement.

Exedy - Home
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Thanks to all that contributed to this. I've got the same "slippage" with less miles. I was pretty sure it was the clutch but this seals the deal.

I found a OEM type clutch on Amazon for like $170? They've got a "make sure it fits" thing on their too.
    I ordered it, it came in like a week later. Now I just need to find a buddy to help me with the swap.

Would certainly be much cheaper to do it yourself, but I'm a bit afraid of doing it!

I've done plenty of work on car electrics and general servicing and stuff, but never pulled a clutch/ engine apart before!
    2003 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX MY03 5SP MT

-Lukey 3" S/S Turboback Exhaust
    -Intake Resonator Removed
    -Ecutek 1.5
    -TEIN FLEX Driving Spec "Control Master" Coilovers w/ EDFC
    -WORKEMOTION Wheels

I Support ClubWRX
    It's really not that difficult. The hardest part is getting the trans physically out of and back into the car without scraping up your fingers and knuckles. I've done a dozen or so clutches on as many different cars and they're all generally the same (except for Evo's, **** those things), just need some basic tools, a jack, jackstands, a block of wood, and a couple buddies with strong arms and beer.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I've found on this and other forums some other things you should do while swapping your clutch. Like flushing your transmission fluid and upgrading your shifter, tranny mount bushings if you so desire.

I'm probably taking mine to a shop sometime, I have one buddy that might help me and there is a DIY auto shop, they have lifts, tools and oil recycling, nearby (I'm military and they usually have one of those on every post/base).
    Actually I might be stupid not to DIY now that I really think about it. I've swapped the clutch on my 85 GL wagon(R.I.P.) by pulling the engine, it wasn't that hard. Just had to be careful to connect everything back up like it was. Had to do it that way because all the tranny and other hardware bolts on the undercarriage were seriously rusted and would have sheared off or something stupid.