Bang/Thud when braking
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Bang/Thud when braking within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; If you don't want to read my wonderful narrative, you can skip to the cliffsnotes at the end. I went ...

Bang/Thud when braking

If you don't want to read my wonderful narrative, you can skip to the cliffsnotes at the end.

I went out today to do a little ECU logging and noticed a peculiar issue. While I was slowing down for a stop sign, I heard a bang like I hit a pothole or something, but when I looked back, I saw nothing. It definitely came from the right side. I've also noticed some brake squeaking too that's been around since I had the passenger side drive axle replaced but today, I think it got worse. Since that was the last thing to be apart, I thought I would take the wheel off and see if I could spot anything wrong. The only thing I could find was one of the wheel studs needs replacing. Anyway, I torqued the wheel back on to the owner's manual spec and took it for a test run. I pulled out of my driveway, and as soon as I hit the brakes coming up to the first stop sign (ever so slightly) *BANG*. I turned around, pulled into the driveway for another quick inspection, saw nothing, so I tried again. Same thing.

This only happened once or twice on a drive, usually at the beginning of it. I've wanted to replace all the pads & rotors since I got the car but haven't got around to it yet.

Cliffsnotes: Brakes squeaking more than usual. Occasional banging sound when brake pedal is pressed.

Any ideas?
    You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because I just farted.

2003 WRX OSECU Stage 2
    Turbo back exhaust, Samco intercooler hoses, GM boost control solenoid

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The method to replace axles that I like doesn't mess with the brakes, the whole strut is just flopped aside or hung from a wire etc. Is the axle nut on and is the tab hammered to keep it in place? Could the brake disc shield be hitting something, maybe it got bent? On the other end of the axle there is a pin to keep it in. Is the pin there?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Something else: Are you sure the pads are OK, and that there is no leak to soak them with fluid?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The method to replace axles that I like doesn't mess with the brakes, the whole strut is just flopped aside or hung from a wire etc. Is the axle nut on and is the tab hammered to keep it in place? Could the brake disc shield be hitting something, maybe it got bent? On the other end of the axle there is a pin to keep it in. Is the pin there?
    The axle nut is in place with the keeper notch hammered in. I didn't take a good look at the shield so I'll have to check it again. I'll also check the axle pin when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Something else: Are you sure the pads are OK, and that there is no leak to soak them with fluid?
    I didn't notice anything leaking, I'll check the pads again sometime this week.
    You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because I just farted.

2003 WRX OSECU Stage 2
    Turbo back exhaust, Samco intercooler hoses, GM boost control solenoid

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.