Steering wheel volume control stuck

This is a discussion on Steering wheel volume control stuck within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is my first post so I hope I'm putting this in the right Forum subject. I have a 2011 ...

Steering wheel volume control stuck

This is my first post so I hope I'm putting this in the right Forum subject. I have a 2011 STi with Nav. It has the steering wheel controls for stereo volume. Today the volume increase button "broke". It didn't fall off or anything it just seems to be depressed and won't pop back out. Oh yeah and the volume keeps going UP! I have to keep turning it down with the knob on the nav unit. Does any one know how to remove the controls off the steering wheel. Does it just pop off? I don't see any screws holding it on, but I am afraid to pull it and break it. I know it will be covered by the warranty but I don't live near a dealer and won't be able to get to one before next week. I can't turn the stereo off either. It seems that with that volume button stuck on, no other buttons on the stereo seem to work. It's really hard to drive, shift and turn the volume down at the same time. Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Odd, was something silled on it recently? Have you tried just prying on it gently? You could try dripping a bit of alcohol into there (car off), and see if you can work it out from there.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Didn't spill anything on it. Tried prying it but no luck. I'll try the alcohol and see how that works. I would really like to take the entire steering wheel control panel off but can't figure out how. I was finally able to turn the head unit off. So now I just get to listen to my exhaust until I can get to the dealership.

I Support ClubWRX
    First time I'm hearing about something like this happening.If its still under warranty just take it in.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

You might be able to disconnect the steering wheel control connection to the HU. I think my '09 had a separate wiring harness for the steering wheel controls...but I don't remember for sure since I've done a few HU installations over the years. It is worth a shot since it is 4 screws to get the HU out.

You have a 2011. Let the dealer worry about it. If you break it yourself they may not cover it under warranty.