Subaru WRX Forum banner

2002 wrx p0442

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Donkey 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 2002 wrx, and its giving me a p0442. I've done a lot of research about this code, and I have a couple questions.

1.) The first thing I did was tighten the gas cap and clear the codes. I drove for 150 miles, and took it to get inspected. They said it wasnt ready, drive some more and come back. So I kept driving and around 320 miles the light came back on. I thought it took about 50 miles for the light to reset, any ideas about why it took so long?

2.) The first thing I did was buy a new gas cap because its only $20 and if that fixed it, then great. I put the gas cap on, but no change. However, I never cleared the codes I just drove and figured if that was the problem it would go off by itself. Is that true, or would I have to reset it and then drive for a while and see if it comes back on?

3.) If the problem isnt resolved by resetting and then driving again, I was looking into replacing all the vacuum hoses. I figure a smoke test is gonna cost me $60, and I can get a silicon colored hose kit for 80-100 so it makes sense to me to just do that.

If i were to buy this kit: Subaru WRX Turbo 4WD (2002) SVH Kit BLACK [24K.SUB.1-Black] - $84.84 : HoseTechniques Silicone Turbo Hose, Buy Direct from Manufacturer, Best Quality / Best Price - Hose Techniques established 1983 - Quality, Performance, Style

would that replace every hose that could be causing a problem? or are there other ones that a kit like that doesn't replace? anybody used a kit from that website before? how hard is it to install the hoses?

Thanks
'

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.