WRX Front Drive Shafts

This is a discussion on WRX Front Drive Shafts within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On my 2003 WRX I've got both inner CV boots leaking as well as one split. In searching the site ...

WRX Front Drive Shafts

On my 2003 WRX I've got both inner CV boots leaking as well as one split. In searching the site I see it is about as easy to change the entire shafts than it is to replace the boots. My question is, are both of the shafts the same? Some aftermarket sites show them being the same, but it appears that the genuine Subaru part numbers are different on the left and right, as well as some aftermarket sites list different entries for left and right. I'm confused.

Answers??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have done both boots on both sides. I think they are the same. In any case I would never use aftermarket parts for the axles. Let the dealer worry about what authentic Subaru parts will fit. Aftermarket is not worth the headaches for axle stuff. Do not buy Subaru axle grease though. Costs a fortune.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Just rebuild the axles. It is not hard once the axles are off the car.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I went through 3 different aftermarket axles before I just rebuilt my OE ones. Was a hassle and a half...

OK You convinced me. Now, the next question is - "What tools do you use besides the (Subaru Special Tools) to tighten the clamps on each end of the boots? The manual shows using a special tool and torque wrench to tighten them properly. What's the trick??

I Support ClubWRX
    There are two types of clamps on each axle. One type has "steps" along its path and depending on what step is used, that's how tight the clamp is. The other type uses a "fishing reel" or "winder" type tightening tool. Once you see the clamps you will know immediately what I mean. No special tools are needed; you can use generic tools.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Exactly I used a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to torque down the axle boot clamp. I thought I was going to need some special tools but really didn't. If your car is old and rusty then you will need a tool to push the axle out of the hub. I spent way too much time trying to smack it out. Rust sucks.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.