Shortblock questions

This is a discussion on Shortblock questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello everybody i am brand new to the forum. i just recently bought an 04 wrx and unfortunately i just ...

Shortblock questions

hello everybody i am brand new to the forum.
    i just recently bought an 04 wrx and unfortunately i just got a really bad rod knock.
    so from the research iv gathered my best option is to get a shortblock. this is going to be my daily driver so im not looking for any huge hp gains and i am on a tight budget as i just bought it
    so i guess my main questions are,
    is this something me (basic mechanical skill) and my friend (slightly more skill then me lol) can do in a garage with probable access to whatever tools needed. or is this something im gonna have to leave up to the shop and somehow save for the labor fees?
    and should i get a 205 shortblock or a 257?? i read they bolt up the same is there anything else i would have to do/get? is it worth it for what im looking for??

I am new to the subaru world, had a honda for a while. so im hoping my experience with subbies finishes better then the rocky start

Thank you everyone and i appreciate any and all help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If the shortblock is pre-assembled you could feasibly do it yourself, but it's going to be a lot of work, and if you don't do certain things just right then you're just going to end up with a second blown engine. It would probably be a good idea to have a machine shop rebuild the heads and deck them while they're off. Depending on the mileage of your engine you should also replace several other things, like the oil pump, water pump, tensoner, etc. And things like the oil cooler MUST be replaced after a spun bearing because it's impossible to get all of the metal bits out of there.

The ej257 will provide you with considerably more torque, but you will need larger injectors, an aftermarket fuel pump, and a custom tune to run it safely.

I Support ClubWRX
    If your going to do it, you might as well do it.. Personally Id do the EJ257, have a machine shop inspect and clean your heads as well as replace valve guides, seals.. Spend the extra hundred and get the walbro fuel pump, also find some sti pink injectors or some DWs.. You will also like mainframe said need to replace the oil cooler..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

okay so say i did attempt this myself what would you say my hurdles would be? as far as what would possibly be beyond me? the short block i was looking at had 0 miles fresh from the factory (ej205) about 1800 shipped pre assembled. to be honest i think i will shy away from the sti block, i assume with the added tq hp my stock tranny wouldnt hold and i deff dont have the money to invest in a new transmission as well.
    thanks again guys.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Your transmission would be fine, depending on how you drive it. My old 02 transmission had no trouble with a sti shortblock, upgraded turbo, and HDSS clutch. Your 04 gears are already stronger than those.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear about the misfortune there, that isn't typical by any means.

How many miles were on it? Was it modified when you bought it? It may have just had a bad owner or two before you, which really puts a damper on things.

Personally, I would recommend going with the stock block, unless you have some big plans down the road. Main reason is that if you put the EJ257 shortblock in there, you will need some additional work to get it working correctly. An EJ257 block with EJ205 heads is known as a hybrid build. You can do a search on here for what it requires to piece together. If you're on a budget, it's probably best you go with the EJ205 shortblock.

I have a link to a factory service manual for the WRX that I can give you, in that it has all of the torque and tightening specs for putting the heads back on (shortblocks do not come with heads, you will need to swap your old heads onto the block), and every other bolt you will be messing with. It's extremely important that you pay attention to these specs, especially the tightening sequence for the heads, because tightening things improperly can cause issues down the road.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Sucks to hear... If you do attempt it yourself, make sure you do everything to a t...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

ik thank you..
    the car only had 105,xxx miles and had only one owner, yes it has a few mods, just exhaust gauge cluster and turbo timer. it only had one owner so it must have had a hard life. i only had the car for two days before is started knocking...
    i would really appreciate that link thank you!

yeah i decided i want to go with the stock 205 block and skip the 257. not really looking for a big hp gain.

iv heard so many mixed messages for alot of people and i really dont know if i should attempt this or not.
    its just so depressing cause i really cant even afford a new engine... i may have to pick up a part time job and work 60 hrs...

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You know, it's always an option to buy a low mileage used engine and just swap that in. That requires far less work, and probably for the same if not less money than a new shortblock. Yes, you'll have peace of mind with the new shortblock, but stressing yourself out financially isn't exactly fun.

Just something to think about.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

very good point, i have looked but had a hard time finding a used engine. any suggestions where?

Slam a 2.5 short block in there and be done. Unless the heads are smashed. Buying a used subaru motor can be tricky as well. Unless you can have it run in front of you, get a leak down test done. Just buy new. You think you are stressed now. Wait till you buy used and end up with the same problem as now.
    Make sure to replace the oil cooler, oil pump, timing belt and water pump.
    2006 wrX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by natedawgg View Post
    okay so say i did attempt this myself what would you say my hurdles would be? as far as what would possibly be beyond me?
    We have no idea your mechanical ability. But the fact that your having to ask this would incline me to tell you to have a professional assemble the motor as a completed long block and then you can just try to drop it in.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S