02 wrx power loss.

This is a discussion on 02 wrx power loss. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 wrx and suddenly it started falling on its face at 3500 to 4500 rpm. I'm getting ...

02 wrx power loss.

I have an 02 wrx and suddenly it started falling on its face at 3500 to 4500 rpm. I'm getting a trouble code that says there is a lean condition. My hopes are that the turbo is still fine seeing that it is a lean problem. fuel filter? Pump? Any IDeas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremypotter74 View Post
    Any IDeas?
    No.

To get ideas:

1. Post the actual code.
    2. Post all modifications to the car and any history we need to know.

Thanks.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

no modifications to my knowlege except cat back exhaust. before it totally went bad there seemed to be some occasional surging power drops between 3500 and 4500 rpm.
    Code p0171 Syatem too lean (Bank 1)

Freeze frame data

Fuel system 1
    Closede Loop

Fuel system 2
    Not Supported

Load value
    8.6%

Coolant temp
    192 F

Short term fuel trim
    14.8%

Long term fuel trim
    14.8%

Map Sensor
    16 in hg

Engine rpm

vehicle speed
    46 mph

Hope that helps.

I Support ClubWRX
    Exhaust leak?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Code p0171 Syatem too lean (Bank 1)
    OK great, that's what I needed.

1. Clean the MAF.
    2. Check the air filter and replace if need be. Make sure the housing is on correctly.
    3. Check for vacuum and boost leaks.
    4. Check the reference hose to the fuel pressure regulator.

Post back if it's not one of those things. My money is on the MAF. Get MAF cleaner specifically, nothing else. Good luck.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Vacuum/post maf leak would be my guess.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

MAF cleaner did it i cleaned it last time so I thought it was still fine but thats what I get for thinking! :P Thanx.

I Support ClubWRX
    MAF cleaner did it i cleaned it last time so I thought it was still fine but thats what I get for thinking! :P Thanx.
    On the MAF there is a visible component but there is also a sensor component within the tubing; to clean it thoroughly one must spray "inside" the tubing as well. If it was indeed the MAF, still suspect the air filter and clean up there too.

Its a K&N I cleaned that first but neglected to look at the maf. I let myself assume that it was fine when it wasn't but ill give the tube a good cleaning too. one thing about the k&N though it seems a little thick arround the seal. really have to work the back tabs into the grooves and it barely fits. I guess thats just an aftermarket thing.