Slow Oil Leak

This is a discussion on Slow Oil Leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just changed my oil a couple of days ago and I noticed that there was some oil residue coming ...

Registered User fordtruck76_390's Avatar

Slow Oil Leak

I just changed my oil a couple of days ago and I noticed that there was some oil residue coming down the back side of the oil pan(side closest to the firewall). It doesn't seem to be any where else on the oil pan just that side. Would this most likely be a leaky oil pan gasket. I know that the WRX uses a silicone gasket. Does anyone recommend a good brand they have used. Thanks in advance for the input.

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i think all of the wrx/sti's use a liquid gasket. it's what's recommended. I just changed out my oil pan and used permatex (black i think).

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There is no gasket, they use sealant.

It may also be coming from the return line from the turbo which is semi-common to occur. Sometimes the rubber hoses just start to go over a period of time due to heat or its the clamp being loose.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the return line before I tear into anything. Is the oil pan seal leaking a common problem on our cars? Also has anyone use this on the wrx and does it work for the oil pan seal?
    Permatex/5 oz. (147.824 ml.) cartridge the Right Stuff gasket maker (29208) | Sealant | AutoZone.com
    Thanks again for the help.

If I end up having to do the oil pan I'll probably use that. Are there any pointers for the oil pan seal or anything I should know before jumping in? I know you have to lift the engine a little to get the rear bolts, other than that is it pretty straight forward?

I Support ClubWRX
    Ideally what you are seeing would be the result of oil going up, not down.

This sounds absurd but it is the cheapest explanation and not impossible. Oil would seem to travel up if -- and only if -- the crush washer on the oil drain bolt was reused and it is seeping oil. Wind pressure could have generated the effect you see now. Look into that, because it is the simplest thing to fix and it is not unheard of for the crush washers to leak if used a long time or not tightened correctly etc.

Just a though, hoping to save you an oily tedious mess.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'll check into that too. That didn't even occur to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtruck76_390 View Post
    I'll check into that too. That didn't even occur to me.
    That's why SD is here...nobody compares when offering the simplest of wisdom to do things right, and to save you some hassle and $$$.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    That's why SD is here...nobody compares when offering the simplest of wisdom to do things right, and to save you some hassle and $$$.
    I am humbled by the compliment. Thanks.

It's a guess but I remember at least one conversation at a dealer's a few years back, where the customer was saying "but I have an oil leak!" matching this description, and the dealer fixed it by fixing the washer. I hope it's the problem and nothing more tedious.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.