super coolant

This is a discussion on super coolant within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a new radiator installed, and bought some of the new super coolant from subaru. i asked the parts ...

filling new rad with coolant

i have a new radiator installed, and bought some of the new super coolant from subaru.

i asked the parts guy if i needed the conditioner and he said no. I just wanted to verify that.

and how should i go about filling the car back up? just fill the radiator, the extra reserviour, and then burp the system from there?
    Last edited by shadowpr; 09-06-2011 at 07:52 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have emphatically been told the car does not need conditioner, and also just as emphatically that it does. If they have it just buy it.

EDIT: About filling, yes, that will work. You can burp lots with the motor still off to save yourself time and trouble; just squeeze the top rad hose gently and you will see you can suddenly fill with a lot more coolant than you'd imagine. I once did this to the extent that no further burping is needed, but you will see what happens once the motor is on and the thermostat opens. Watch your fingers with the fans coming on at any time with no warning.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-29-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe you need to get the conditioner.Also when you fill up you want to fill up through the filler tank,not through the radiator.Once that is full you can top off the reservoir.

This link might help How To: DIY Engine Coolant Change - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

ok. i'll get the conditioner before i fill the radiator.

thanks guys.

ok. i filled my system, and keep noticing that the coolant level in teh reservoir drops.

i understand this is from the air in the system, but about how long does this take to get rid of? i'm starting to worry about a leak. last night after driving the car for over an hour, the level was just slightly below the full line. this morning, it was below the bottom line.

and does anyone know how much coolant the system takes. i have a koyo radiator and have put in just about 2 gallons of coolant so far.

Are you always checking the resevoir when its hot and cold? If you compare it hot always compare the level hot if you compare it cold always compare it cold. I have had air pockets in these cars that are a real SOB. sometimes you can try forcing the pocket out with a few shots of the throttle with the surge tank cap off and the system full. If you have the means If your truly worried about a leak or something you could do a cooling system pressure test. As mentioned the proper way to refill the system is to pull the cap off the surge tank and the radiator. fill through the surge tank until fluid starts to come out of the radiator fill neck, than cap off the radiator and fill until the surge tank is full.

Can you smell it? If it's leaking at a rate fast enough to be noticed there is generally a pretty distinct smell.
    2010 Subaru WRX

i can smell it. but that's probably from when i fill it, i have spilled a bit.

i check it when i turn the car off, but won't fill until the next morning afte it has sat for a few hours.

today i had to put a little bit more in. less than last time though. hopefully it's just about done with the air pockets. at this point i have added exactly 2 gallons of coolant.