need help....please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on need help....please within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I have an 09 wrx, and before irene came I was working on changing the fuel injectors, and doing ...

need help....please

Ok, I have an 09 wrx, and before irene came I was working on changing the fuel injectors, and doing tgv deletes.

I had the intake manifold off while I sent my tgv's to grimmspeed. I plugged the holes they left with a rag so no dust or dirt would fall in.

I go to look today so I can reinstall everything, and the holes are filled with a liquid. I assume water from all the rain.

how bad is this? can I just try to get it all out and continue on my way, or will I need to replace some internal parts?

edit: the rag i had covering the opening to the turbo (i removed the turbo inlet) was also soaked. I don't see any water there though. not sure if that would have water inside it or not.
    Last edited by shadowpr; 08-29-2011 at 09:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would pull out all the spark plugs and either hand turn the motor at the crank or pull the fuel pump relay and crank the motor real quick. This should push out all the water. Then just change the oil and you should be good.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I would pull out all the spark plugs and either hand turn the motor at the crank or pull the fuel pump relay and crank the motor real quick. This should push out all the water. Then just change the oil and you should be good.
    This, exactly!
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

should i put everything back together then, and then change the spark plugs, and pull the fuel pump relay and then start her up?

i sucked out most of the water. apparently there is like a valve there, and it looks like it stopped water from going further. there is still a few drops left that i couldn't get out.

and the turbo was full of water.

I Support ClubWRX
    pull the plugs, turn the motor over to allow the pistons to push out any remaining water. is the turbo dried out?
    Rogan o_0

i tried to suck the water out of the turbo, but i'm not 100% sure if it's dry.

so pull the plugs, then just manually crank it from the crank pulley? won't the water just go in deeper into the engine?

sorry if i'm asking the same thing over. just want to be sure.

I Support ClubWRX
    the rings will contain 99% of it. Water that may have gotten past the rings will only go to the oil, so change that, as well.
    You can pull the plugs, remove the fuel pump relay, and crank it over with the key. If there's water in the cylinders, it'll blow out. then clean/replace the plugs, relay, etc.

Ensure you've gotten all the water out of the turbo. Once you have, and all is put back together, it should start without complications from the water.
    Rogan o_0

I Support ClubWRX
    If you pull the plugs and are very concerned, pull the battery (just in case I suppose) and turn the motor over by hand. This is gentler than using the starter (key).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

this is what my engine looks like now:

the battery is already out, the alternator is out, intake manifold, turbo inlet, air compressor....

ok. i'll pull the plugs and use a breaker bar to turn the crank.

just need to figure out how to dry out the turbo then.

I Support ClubWRX
    Uhm.. Pull the spark plugs NOW. turn it over a few times by hand. Spray some penetrant oil (WD40, PB Blaster, anything, in there to lightly coat it all. THEN turn it some more.

that's alot more water than I was expecting to see..

as for turbo, used compressed air, but don't spin up the turbine wheels too much, as there's no oil circulating to lubricate the CHRA. A few quick blasts of air from a compressor should be sufficient to blow the water out of the turbo. Blow air into the inlet, and try to catch the exiting water with a rag/towel/something..
    Rogan o_0

will do.

that's what it looked like before i sucked the water out. ther is a lot less now.

ok. removed the spark plugs (that was a pain), turned the crank a few times until i saw the valves push open and closed. then i sprayed pb blaster in them, turned the crank a few times more. repeated that again.

then i took a air compressor to the turbo. kept praying and wiping until i didn't see any more water come out when i sprayed. from from the top after that, just to make sure. also kept the turbine from spinning while i did that.

should i change my spark plugs? and i have to change the oil right? should i let the car run a it first, and then change, or just go change it before i start it up?

I Support ClubWRX
    Look at the plugs and then decide. For a few dollars i would change them anyway. Oil is cheap so I would just do it again anyway. Beware the penetrant in the cylinders and anywhere else will smoke and stink a lot when the motor starts again.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ok. just ordered new plugs. getting the 1 step colder ones.

also going to spray wd40 in where the spark plugs go in the morning.

i'm hoping everything will turn out alright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast