Loss of power - mechanic says turbo is locked up / not spooling

This is a discussion on Loss of power - mechanic says turbo is locked up / not spooling within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My wife has been driving the car a lot since I have been working from home. Last week, she mentions ...

Loss of power - mechanic says turbo is locked up / not spooling

My wife has been driving the car a lot since I have been working from home. Last week, she mentions that the car just doesn't feel as zippy as it used it.

I drive it mid last week and flooring it from a dead stop is not producing the thrill it used to. I'm getting nothing. I've been in mini-vans with better pickup.

I schedule an appt with the mechanic for today. I bring it in and he says turbo is locked up / not spooling /etc. Turbos only had ~ 65k miles. That seems kind of early.

He also tells me this can sometimes kill the engine as blocked oil just goes back into the engine or something.

So a few questions:

1) ~ how much should it cost to replace the turbos. parts + labor
    2) Is this true about the engine being adversely affected by a locked turbo?
    3) my wife thinks 2 weeks since she noticed drop in power. maybe 3 max. If we were driving it relatively lightly (not trying to race around) was this enough to cause damage if #2 is correct
    4) How f^%#'d am i?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    1) Have no idea. Depends if:
    * you want to replace with a genuine Subaru part and have the dealer install it
    * you want to have the turbo rebuilt
    * you want to get a used turbo
    2)Kinda as the turbo is now causing alot of back pressure in the exhaust. No so much the oil thing. The turbo could have very easily failed due to a clogged out feed line restrictor.
    3)Anything is possible. It's not a definite no or yes
    4)Re-evaluate 1-3 and decide for yourself . I would probably go ahead and change the oil once the new turbo has been installed.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Update: Mechanic says turbo is still good. He's checking pre-cat.