Disappearing Coolant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Disappearing Coolant within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I seem to be losing a cup of coolant about every other day. I've checked all the common place but ...

Disappearing Coolant

I seem to be losing a cup of coolant about every other day. I've checked all the common place but I can't figure out where it's going. The car (2003 WRX sedan) is running perfectly smooth. No white smoke out the tailpipes. No leak of any kind. No rough idling. Just a dropping level in the resevior.

Any ideas???
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Burp the system...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

send your oil in for analysis. my dad's trailblazer had that problem, and they found coolant in the oil.

We looked at it over lunch. I can smell coolant. So it much be coming out somewhere. But it's not leaving any on the floor.

The oil looks fine. It would have some milky stuff in it if the coolant was getting there.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Burp the system...
    What does that mean?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    How to Burp Your Car's Cooling System | eHow.com

Remember that the reservoir only holds a fraction of the total coolant. When your thermostat opens, the coolant will begin to flow and the reservoir will drain into the system and equalize. Burping the system will remove air from the piping thus equalizing the system for you.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
    We looked at it over lunch. I can smell coolant. So it much be coming out somewhere. But it's not leaving any on the floor.

The oil looks fine. It would have some milky stuff in it if the coolant was getting there.
    when i changed my dads oil, it looked fine. it was the analysis results that pinpointed where the coolant was going.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can smell coolant there is a leak. It will have to be located before doing anything else. Have the system pressure tested.

1. Pressure test the system.
    2. If leak is simple, fix it.
    3. Burp the system.
    4. Burp.

If the leak isn't simple, please post back and you can get more advice on what to do.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Looks like a crack in the top front area of the radiator. Sorry for the poor picture. I got home today and took a flashlight to look everything over real well. And there is was, a wet area on the front of the radiator. I guess this is the only leak. The only one I've found so far.

I Support ClubWRX
    Very common. Two of mine did that. I now use an OEM Koyo but there are cheaper or more expensive options. If you order watch the shipping cost, it may make sense to buy locally.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Very common. Two of mine did that. I now use an OEM Koyo but there are cheaper or more expensive options. If you order watch the shipping cost, it may make sense to buy locally.
    How difficult are they to change?

the actual removal and install of a radiator is simple. hardest part is draining it, and then filling it back up.

I Support ClubWRX
    How difficult are they to change?
    Left and right mean as you are facing the car, standing at the nose and looking at the motor.

Remove intake on left.
    Decide whether you are going to use the petcock on the lower left or the lower rad hose on the lower right to drain the rad. Do so. Be prepared.
    Disconnect and remove the overflow hose(s).
    Disconnect top and bottom rad hoses.
    Disconnect two rad fan harness clips.
    If you are willing to fiddle with the steering feed line, you can remove the old rad with the fans still installed; you will have to move the steering out the way carefully and wiggle the rad plus fans out. Otherwise unscrew the fan screws and remove the fans first, then remove the rad by pulling up.

Burp the system well. Also, your replacement may have a rad cap and your original may not. If so, you will have to tee the overflow from the rad's rad cap into the white reservoir on the right. This is easier to picture than describe.

Any way to patch that plastic? Can't weld it like a metal one, but isn't there some epoxy and cover material that would suffice?

I Support ClubWRX
    Any way to patch that plastic?
    I don't know, sorry.

Can't weld it like a metal one, but isn't there some epoxy and cover material that would suffice?
    Not for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast