new member with an important question

This is a discussion on new member with an important question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey folks, i live in Columbia SC and back in the 80's i had a couple of GL sedans, one ...

Question new member with an important question

hey folks, i live in Columbia SC and back in the 80's i had a couple of GL sedans, one of which i killed a moose with and the other got hit head on by a snowplow, great cars though. anyways, my 94 saturn wagon just turned 550k miles and i've decided it's time for a newer car with less than half a million miles on it. i have driven a few WRX's and i'm really pleased with the handling and power. i have been told by a couple of different Subaru techs that the OEM turbos on these cars dont last a real long time, usually less than 50k miles. i dont abuse my vehicles, i'm not really going to do any serious mods, i'm going for longevity more than anything. first, is this true about the factory turbos and is there an aftermarket turbo that will last alot longer? i have looked at 3 different 2005 models all with around 50-60k miles and before i pull the trigger on one of these cars i need some unbiased information about the problem mentioned and any other quirks that these cars in particular have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky katt View Post
    i have been told by a couple of different Subaru techs that the OEM turbos on these cars dont last a real long time, usually less than 50k miles.
    The techs are much more suspect than the average turbo. It should last the life of the motor and is not a weak point. There are plenty of other things to consider anyway.

first, is this true about the factory turbos
    No. Besides, at 50K the turbo is still under warranty in my area. We'd know.

and is there an aftermarket turbo that will last alot longer?
    I don't know but it's not an issue, the factory turbo is fine.

See the how-to-buy threads in the purchasing forum. At lest two different sticky threads with info here:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-purchasing-forum/

What is true is that if a component isn't there, it cannot fail at any age.

I'd keep the Saturn, after that much distance covered I'd be attached. I can't let go of a Toyota with only half those miles.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I am keeping the saturn. i'll still use it to move bags of feed and bales of hay, motorcycle parts, my guitars and huge amplifier when i'm out for a gig. i just want something that has more than 85 horsepower. the saturn has been a great car but i'm to the point where i dont feel comfortable driving long distances like from here in Columbia back to Connecticut where i was born and raised and since i dont fly..........
    fat people are harder to kidnap

I Support ClubWRX
    Makes sense. The WRX is much quicker.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The turbo will be fine. Please just don't buy a modified car that was returned to stock. These cars can be nightmares when someone mods them unwisely. If you can find a truly unmodified WRX then it will last you a long time.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.