White smoke
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on White smoke within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2004 WRX with a full turbo back exhaust as well as a catless midpipe. I have noticed ...

White smoke

I have a 2004 WRX with a full turbo back exhaust as well as a catless midpipe. I have noticed a few times after leaving work that my car is belching out a single puff of white smoke after starting out at a traffic light. It does not always do this and does not emit any smoke at WOT or a idle. It has only done this when cold after leaving work. I have seen a few threads on this, but is this typical for all WRX with a full turbo back without tuning? I am also moving to the Seattle WA area soon. What will I have to do to pass an emissions test over there? Will adding my stock midpipe be sufficient?
    2004 WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hi my friend the white smoke your getting is ok it's just a little build
    Up of unspent fuel in bore's as long as it's not excessive as that
    Would mean new valve seals as for your emissions query I
    Can't say as I live over in the uk.....
    All the best amigo
    BIG BHP

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Have you had the TBE on for long?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Have you had the TBE on for long?
    Yes, it has been on there for about 4 years and about 30K miles ago. My car currently has 65K. It runs perfectly too. I first noticed the poof of smoke which is about 5x5x5 foot in size last year and it has happened only a handful of times. Whoever was behind me each time was probably not too happy. It seems to be a random and isolated event. Thanks for your responses on this.
    2004 WRX

I was able to get my car to produce a little puff of smoke. It on ly appears to happen when starting out in first gear on a hill when cold. So, it only happens when bogging the engine down when cold at low rpm...
    2004 WRX

Usually white smoke means radiator fluid is getting into the cylinders.

I was trying to keep up with a Jaguar in my 87 GL wagon that had a slow leak in the radiator, anyways it overheated, made all kinda of horrible "I'm dieing" noise and made a whole lot of white smoke. Turns out when it overheated the heads cracked and radiator fluid was pouring into the cylinders.

Just mention this cause last time I saw white smoke coming out of my ride I freaked out for good reason.

I'd keep an eye on my coolant levels if I were you. Just to make sure it isn't leaking a little into the cylinders when its cold and under strain. Another thing, it might be making smoke at other times too. Its kinda hard to see what the exhaust looks like when you're cruisin at a good speed, wind blows it and dissipates it.

Was going to mention this overheating thing I had my timing belt done and my car ended up over heating right after I started having issues. If u read I have a post in the technical forum for help with this issue. It was blowing out white puffs of smoke every once in awhile just like u. But then just wed it got really bad even at idle its blowin smoke im takin it to the shop when I get back from MD. Im gonna say head gasket. I told subaru from the beginning something was wrong but they said it was fine.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    AIM siscivic
    MSN sis21721@zoominternet.net
    thats right B!tch I'm a female...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.