Clutch Wear?

This is a discussion on Clutch Wear? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I have a noob question; how bad is it for the clutch to hold down the clutch when ...

Question Clutch Wear?

Hey guys I have a noob question; how bad is it for the clutch to hold down the clutch when coming to a stop? Is it bad to hold down the clutch for 30-50 seconds if I'm in traffic and the speed keeps changing? Sorry for the noobishness haha.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't imagine how either would help longevity.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

What should I do to improve longevity of the clutch?

I Support ClubWRX
    The manual says to use the brake instead of the clutch to keep the car from rolling on an incline, and gives several other suggestions. Don't creep, slip, or ride it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I go with the leave it in gear with the clutch down and brake down, have never had a clutch failure doing this. Some will argue throwout bearing wear, but I can't see clutch wear being an issue. Why shift and move the clutch ten times more than you need to? Think about that for a second, you have to move to neutral, release the clutch, then wait and put it back in gear, push the clutch back in and then release it again...sounds like a lot of work and wear to me. To each is own I guess, but under no circumstances should you ride the clutch(i.e. holding yourself on a hill by slipping the clutch). If I am going to be at a light for a while, then yes, I put it in neutral and release the clutch, more to keep from fatiguing myself then anything.
    2011 WRX Limited - WR Blue Pearl

As long as the clutch is fully engaged or disengaged then there is no wear. It is only while the clutch plate is partially engaged that it slips against the flywheel and causes wear. If you are just sitting in traffic with one foot on the brake and one foot on the clutch pedal then the clutch plate is not touching the flywheel. If you are cruising and your foot is not touching the clutch pedal the clutch plate is locked against the flywheel.

I had a similar question a few weeks back. I searched for awhile and received answers, but I'm sure the answers are debatable. The overall internet consensus I found was...

1- Don't hold in the clutch and 'coast' for long periods of time. This is fine for the clutch, but the throwout bearing will receive extra wear. The throwout bearing costs about as much as the clutch itself.

2- When coming to a complete stop do hold in the clutch and brake, but if you are going to be sitting for awhile (at a light) its best to shift into neutral and release the clutch.

3 - Never use the clutch to hold yourself on a hill.

4 - Never use the clutch to slow yourself down (by pressing it in, then immediately releasing it while in the same gear).

My first car was a manual civic with 20k miles. I actually ended up doing everything above to that car on a regular basis (I didnt know, and i learned how to drive a manual on that car). At about 80,000 miles the throwout bearing started to go, but otherwise the clutch seems ok. As a side note, in my new WRX I hear a very high pitched electrical whine when im at a complete stop and the clutch is held in. Not sure if that's entirely normal, but its a good reminder for me to shift it into neutral. Anyone else get this high pitched noise? Its not very loud, but is noticable.
    Last edited by Dramlin; 08-26-2011 at 12:54 PM.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramlin View Post
    The throwout bearing costs about as much as the clutch itself.

I'm not too sure about that.. I don't remember exactly, but I could swear last time I replaced my TO bearing it was around $20.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I'm not too sure about that.. I don't remember exactly, but I could swear last time I replaced my TO bearing it was around $20.
    Yes, further research on my end shows that I was mistaken. The throwout bearing is rather cheap but apparently to replace it you have to remove the entire transmission. So if you aren't doing it yourself you are looking at a few hundred dollars for labor costs- otherwise its very cheap.
    Last edited by Dramlin; 08-26-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Wow guys, awesome tips and yeah I never ride the clutch. I switch it into neutral when Im at a red light and keep my foot on the brake and off the clutch. Again thanks for the great tips