02 wrx starts than dies if i dont rapidly pump the gas pedal.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 wrx starts than dies if i dont rapidly pump the gas pedal. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car has been sitting for 2 or 3 days because i have been installing a FMIC.. After I thought ...

02 wrx starts than dies if i dont rapidly pump the gas pedal.

My car has been sitting for 2 or 3 days because i have been installing a FMIC.. After I thought everything was good I started it and it died about 1 second later.. it revs up from starting then dies... I have tried cleaning the MAF sensor as well as tightening all of the piping as i best i could. Please help! I really cant miss work very much longer and this is my only way of transport :/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you have to replace the intake with something aftermarket? Is it fitted correctly, does the MAF install correctly, and is the MAF harness facing forward? Did you have to replace the BPV with something aftermarket? Is that working OK too? Sounds like an intake leak somewhere or other.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Clean the IACV.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Yes i did have to replace the intake with something aftermarket. there is supposed to be a coupler connecting from the front of your turbo to the plastic intake pipes that runs under your throttle body. well mine was in 3 different pieces. haha as far as i can tell everything is fitted correctly including the MAF sensor. The MAF harness however is not facing forward it is facing backward due to a rerouting with my piping. What is the BPV? how can i tell if it is working okay too?

And thank you for advice guys I forgot to mention that!

I Support ClubWRX
    The MAF is directional. Orient it to mimic stock flow, with the harness such that air flow is from left to right with the clip forward.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
    sounds like you might have a cracked or loose vacuum line my car used to do that when it poped one off so make sure you got them zip tied tight
    03 WRX
    Perrin Shorty
    Downpipe
    HKS Exhaust

make sure you didn't pinch or stretch your throttle cable somewhere too. also make sure it sits on top of the intake... not below it
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The MAF is directional. Orient it to mimic stock flow, with the harness such that air flow is from left to right with the clip forward.
    ^^this

do this before you do anything else

im not sure what the MAF looks like on a subaru (as i don't have one yet) but it should have an arrow showing the direction of air flow

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!
    IT was the MAF!! haha i flipped the piping around and it works! although... now when i'm driving the turbo seems to be spooling excelent! buuut it was not generating any power..and my engine temp dash guage is getting extremely hot! help :/

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
    sounds like your leaking boost somewhere
    03 WRX
    Perrin Shorty
    Downpipe
    HKS Exhaust

I Support ClubWRX
    You will need a map for your particular modifications.

If the coolant temp sensor is still connected and functional and you have opened the cooling system for any reason, burp the system and gen repeat the burp. If the cooling system has not been opened and again provided the sensor is OK suspect timing problem, leading to the necessity of a map correct for your mods. If you messed with coolant hoses anywhere at all though burp, burp, burp.

You flooded your carburator... J/k, check your idle control valve...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I dont have very many mods so do i really need a map? I've got FMIC, fuel pump, stage II clutch, Turbo back exhaust, and cold air intake. and i did have to remove the radiator to try to fit the front mount in. although i went another route...I do have a guy that runs VG Tuning here in Utah who will tune my car for 150... So should i still go and get a map??

I Support ClubWRX
    You don't need the FMIC, intake, or fuel pump. You also don't need the stage II clutch.

Since you messed with the radiator, you need to burp the system; that's why it's overheating.

I find it unlikely the car will run correctly with a CAI, FMIC, and pump but I have been wrong before and in any case, you can't find out until you fix the overheating problem. Burp the system and go from there.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-24-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast