Anyway to disable Hill Assist on a 2011 WRX?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Anyway to disable Hill Assist on a 2011 WRX? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have got to find a way to disable this, twice I let out the clutch figuring I have the ...

Anyway to disable Hill Assist on a 2011 WRX?

I have got to find a way to disable this, twice I let out the clutch figuring I have the bite on the clutch, NOPE! Its hill assist, so now you give it gas and smoke your clutch!?!?!?! I can't stand it anymore, does anyone know if this can be disabled on a 2011 WRX? Calling the dealer this morning, I can't deal with this nanny junk on my car!!!!!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It can be disabled on the STI but apparently there is no way to do it on a WRX.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

disconnect the wire to the handbrake switch and ground it. downside is e-brake light will be on all the time.
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

If what I am reading is right, this thing works off of some type of level sensor? If so, is there a way to disconnect/manipulate this sensor? Or is there an aftermarket sensor that will tell the system that the car is level all the time? I will still call the service manager today, I have to believe they can shut it off with software.

Deactivate Hill Start Assist on 2011 WRX - NASIOC

post #20 here ^ talks very briefly about "manipulating the sensor". I'd also assume that software should be able to handle this but haven't heard about anybody who's done it.
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by nyr8er View Post
    Deactivate Hill Start Assist on 2011 WRX - NASIOC

post #20 here ^ talks very briefly about "manipulating the sensor". I'd also assume that software should be able to handle this but haven't heard about anybody who's done it.
    At least there are options, thanks nyr8er. I called the service department at the dealer, they are going to call into Subaru and see if they have a way in the software to defeat this, there has to be a way if the STI can do it. I am sure its a simple software code, and there seems to be millions of hate thread on the internet over this issue, there has got to be a solution somewhere.

You're welcome. Let me know if you find anything out. It'd be some good info. I'm used to the hill assist now but it definitely gets annoying sometimes.
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

What does it do that is so annoying?
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

^^ I'm wondering the same thing, what's annoying about it, and why would you want to disable it? When I first saw this thread I said, eh, to each his own, but I am curious why some don't like it.

With it on, no more balancing the car on hills, no more worrying about the guy who stops 6 inches off your rear bumper at a light, no more giving it a lot of gas and riding the clutch to pull away on a hill. You just let the technology do it's job and you can pull away as if you were on a flat surface. It's a win for clutch wear.

This is the first car I've had with this feature and I love it. It took me all of about 2 minutes to get used to using it and letting it do it's job.

I would much rather have the option to have traction control default to off so I can turn it on when I want to. When I want to have some fun or I'm at the track or someone pulls next to me wanting to race I have to remember to turn traction control off. That, I find annoying.

I Support ClubWRX
    I had the same issue with it I think as the op.. In my mind my footing is correct as far as the clutch engagement/disengagement so as I start to pull out of traffic on a 45mph road I quickly find out that it was the hill assist holding me and not my clutch/gas pedal arrangement.. Not a fun moment in the car.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I had the same issue with it I think as the op.. In my mind my footing is correct as far as the clutch engagement/disengagement so as I start to pull out of traffic on a 45mph road I quickly find out that it was the hill assist holding me and not my clutch/gas pedal arrangement.. Not a fun moment in the car.
    But hill assist does not hold you from going forward or even when on a down hill from rolling forward. It only prevents you from rolling backwards. And it only engages for about 5-10 seconds or so. If your on an incline when you let off the brake hill assist only holds you in place for a few seconds then it releases (and you will roll backwards if you just sit there). If you on an decline(down hill) it doesn't hold you at all. Also says so in the manual if I'm not mistaken.

Now, traction control will apply the brakes when going forward if the situation warrants it. I guessing this is what you felt trying to pull out quickly.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I think what they're complaining about is that it kind of tricks you into thinking you have the clutch in the correct position to take off because it feels as if you're holding the car from rolling back with the clutch.. but then when they give it gas to take off they burn the clutch because it was not engaging where they thought it was.

Seems like you could just "get used to it" eventually. After lots of driving you should have muscle memory in your left foot as to where the clutch actually grabs. Although I'm used to my ACT clutch that grabs in precisely the same manner in the same position every time.. I remember the OEM clutch switching it up on me every once in a while, but I would imagine they have fixed that by now.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I think what they're complaining about is that it kind of tricks you into thinking you have the clutch in the correct position to take off because it feels as if you're holding the car from rolling back with the clutch.. but then when they give it gas to take off they burn the clutch because it was not engaging where they thought it was.

Seems like you could just "get used to it" eventually. After lots of driving you should have muscle memory in your left foot as to where the clutch actually grabs. Although I'm used to my ACT clutch that grabs in precisely the same manner in the same position every time.. I remember the OEM clutch switching it up on me every once in a while, but I would imagine they have fixed that by now.
    While I guess I understand what your saying, it's a non-issue for me. Maybe it's because I've been driving manuals probably longer than some here have been alive. (I'm 42, drove my first manual at 18) I think anyone having problems with the hill assist should just practice more, rather than disable it. A simple way to get used to it is to just pretend your not on a hill, pretend you're on a completely flat surface when you pull away. If you're on a flat surface the car goes not move either, same as when the hill assist is engaged.

But like I said to each his own, I was just curious as to why some don't like it. My advice would be to practice, practice, practice.

I Support ClubWRX
    It isn't the fact that it is keeping me from going forward, it is the fact that it is making my mind think that I have the clutch holding me where I want to instead it's the actual hill assist.. It's just something that needs to be gotten used to, nothing worth ripping the car apart for.,

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a lot of elevations around here.Its useful for me ,especially when there's some ****head stopped right behind my rear bumper when I've stopped on a hill.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.