This is a discussion on Anyway to disable Hill Assist on a 2011 WRX? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by T0rque It isn't the fact that it is keeping me from going forward, it is the fact ...
No offense, but your "nanny" argument makes no sense to me. There are lots of things the car does automatically that could be done by you with no help from the car. Learning to use the technology to your advantage is what will make you a better, safer driver. Like Torque said, it's nothing worth disabling, just get used to it.
But hey it's your car...
But I do agree, a on/off switch for those who want to turn it off would be cool.
2011 WRX Limited - WR Blue Pearl
Now will anti-lock brakes stop you quicker than manually pumping them... of course. Just like hill assist will hold you in place just as good or better than trying to balance the car on a hill.
And from your first post, the way it reads you were burning the clutch due to not being used to the hill assist, sounds to me like that's what 1st time manual drivers do. A good manual driver should be able to adjust to new technology very quickly.
I don't want to get into a big discussion here, I was just curious. You made your point of why you don't like it and I respect that.
What?! A good manual driver doesn't need Hill Assist, I have never had any issues, and I live in a hilly area....What use is Hill Assist? Explain to me what it does for a good manual driver? If you like nanny devices, then have them put on, the rest of us want a manual like we have had for years. Look on the web, there arethousands of people that don't like or need it, and why give STI owners the ability to disable it, and not WRX owners? Sounds like you need it so bad that you would rather it be on the car, is it because you can't keep from rolling back? I don't know about you, but I don't ever roll backwards, which makes this device worthless.
And you can dream up all you want that you can out brake ABS, but you're only fooling yourself, its not even a good comparison. Try again.
2011 WRX Limited - WR Blue Pearl
Simmer down guys... Agree to disagree on this one.... You might have a stroke. :-)
Yellow lights mean go faster!!!
Fine, you want to do this, lets go then moron. First if your 42 then I feel sorry for you because you act and talk like your 13.
1) Your the guy smoking the clutch. Only someone that doesn't know what they're doing burns the clutch, in any situation. I don't care if hill assist is on or not. A good driver doesn't smoke the clutch and certainly not because of a device that stops the car from rolling backwards. If hill assist throws you off that much that your smoking the clutch then you're clearly an amateur.
2) Like I said, if you would listen for once, I said hill assist isn't technically needed, but it does serve a purpose. If you can have the car hold you for a few seconds rather than have the need to balance the car putting unneeded wear on the clutch, why not use it. Yes a good manual driver doesn't technically need it, but if it's there and there is no way to turn it off, why not lean to use it to your advantage. Like I said anti-lock brakes aren't needed by a good driver, so why do we all still use them.
3) The rest of everyone wants hill assist turned off... really, and you have stats to prove that? Thousands say they want it turned off, huh. You sound like a fool right now. You may be able to find people on the internet who want it off, but guaranteed they are thousands, 10's of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands that like it or don't mind it and have no desire to disable it. Out of all the wrx owners, or owners of any car that have this feature, people who want it disabled I guarantee are in the minority. Just in this thread there are more who don't mind it than want it disabled.
4) I already said, it would be nice if there was a switch to just turn it off, but there isn't so quite whining like a little baby and deal with it. If you can't adapt, then buy an auto, it's more your speed.
5) Again, open your ears, I never said I need hill assist or want it so bad. I said it's technically not needed, I don't WANT it, but guess what, it's there with no easy way to turn it off, so learn to drive the car with what's it got and quit whining. It doesn't bother me at all. I don't smoke the clutch because it's there like some who apparently don't know how to drive a manual. I can balance the car on a hill for hours without rolling back if I wanted, can you? But why beat on your clutch when you don't have to. The device is not worthless, it serves a purpose that obviously you can't grasp. Proof is you smoking your clutch. I NEVER smoke the clutch.
6) Again, listen. I never said I can out brake ABS, in fact I said, ABS will stop you quicker, but technically it's not needed. A good driver can brake in adverse conditions and be just fine. ABS just assists you in stopping, just like hill assist assist you. Since you're small mind can't grasp the concept, let me repeat, ABS assists in braking, but it's not really needed, so the comparison is valid. Are you not capable of stopping without ABS? Of course you are capable, but ABS helps you stop. Hill assist helps as well. At the least it helps cut down un-needed wear on your clutch, at best it helps some from a possible momentary roll back. If you don't roll back EVER, then good for you, but seems to me anyone with any skill wouldn't smoke the clutch because of hill assist.
7) I was simply curious as to why someone would have a problem with this feature. Now I understand. When your clearly intelligence challenged I can see how such a simple device would throw you off so much.
Good luck in the future and do us all a favor and disable your air bag as well so we can get people like you out of the gene pool. You can write back all you want, I will not respond any more. I have no time to deal with children like you. I was simply curious but you clearly want to argue like a child. Grow up and get some lessons so you don't keep smoking your clutch. Done!
Last edited by sho-n-go; 08-26-2011 at 08:12 PM.
The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread
Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.
Okay... have we gotten it out of our systems guys?
One word: "Done."
Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
Firearms Enthusiasts Thread
The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!
Wow, nothing worse than arrogant old guys.
Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon -- SOLD
2002 Subaru WRX Sedan -- SOLD