got a new clutch installed but now its got rough idle, did the mechanic screw up?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on got a new clutch installed but now its got rough idle, did the mechanic screw up? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I've got a STI wrx 2000 ra, got a new clutch put into it from a mechanic i dont ...

got a new clutch installed but now its got rough idle, did the mechanic screw up?

Hi, I've got a STI wrx 2000 ra, got a new clutch put into it from a mechanic i dont know much about.

The clutch is really buzzy, but otherwise it seems fine.

But there is a new problem which is that the car is now idling very rough - the rpms go from 600 to 750 back and forth, lots of shaking, hot and cold - rough idle in both, and this has happened straight after the mechanic installed the new clutch.

So I called this guy up, and asked him to fix this ROUGH IDLE issue, since it wasn't there before but he says that he only opened up the transmission box and intercooler and he hasn't stuffed it up, but I fail to see how this could have happened other wise.

So I'm doing some research on this rough Idle issue, if you guys know much about it then please suggest what could be causing this, and if this guy has messed it up or is it coincidental - that is hard to believe; and what action should I take next - how should I talk to this guy, what are my consumer rights?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sounds like a vacuum leak .. if he removed the intercooler and replaced it.. might want to check to make sure all the hoses/clamps and vac lines are connected. Also check all the grounding wires and make sure they're also firmly attached. He might not have intentionally stuffed it.. but if he forgot a intake clamp (causing a minor leak) or left off a ground wire (causing sensors to read out of range) .. those two aspects could very well cause the issue. I'd def look at vac lines and intake couplers/gaskets first What you have sounds very much like a vac leak.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    /\ Yup either the intercooler pipes are not tightened correctly or maybe he forgot to hook up a couple grounds.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.