low oil pressure

This is a discussion on low oil pressure within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2004 4EAT WRX and my oil pressure is reading as follows: Startup = 85 3000rpm (warmed up) ...

low oil pressure

I have a 2004 4EAT WRX and my oil pressure is reading as follows:

Startup = 85
    3000rpm (warmed up) = 50
    idle (warmed up) = 12

these numbers seem very low, any help would be greatly appretiated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Seems about right to me, I'm a little higher (100, 65, 15-18, repectively) but I also have a 2011 with 20k miles on it.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

it depends on what you mean by LOW? Are those number your normal numbers? First timer?

For example, I have a 02 wrx, I know my normal reading. One day I noticed that my warning lights were flashing! This kept on going for a month. During that time, I did not run my car hard but I kept an eye on the gauge. When I would slow down, my gauge would flash and my oil gauge would go down for a second. This would always occur. One day, I was cleaning my intake!!! Found the intake cone had come off.

Check your readings after a good oil change when the oil is FULL. Use that as a measuring gauge.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

oh ok, i just got the car recently and the numbers just seemed a little low to me, but if that's normal then i guess thats all i needed, thanks!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Well.. 12psi at idle seems a little low to me. I would like to see ~20psi at idle, of course I have a built engine, and I idle at 1,000 rpm.

What oil are you running, and how many miles are on the oil right now? I would think about trying something a little heavier. I don't necessarily think you're in trouble, but personally I wouldn't want to ever see less than 15psi going through my engine at any point.

I Support ClubWRX
    Limits are 14 psi at 800 rpm and 43 psi at 5000 rpm measured with a gauge at the oil pressure switch attachment point to the block for the 2.0L motor.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.