low oil pressure

This is a discussion on low oil pressure within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2004 4EAT WRX and my oil pressure is reading as follows: Startup = 85 3000rpm (warmed up) ...

low oil pressure

I have a 2004 4EAT WRX and my oil pressure is reading as follows:

Startup = 85
    3000rpm (warmed up) = 50
    idle (warmed up) = 12

these numbers seem very low, any help would be greatly appretiated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Seems about right to me, I'm a little higher (100, 65, 15-18, repectively) but I also have a 2011 with 20k miles on it.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

it depends on what you mean by LOW? Are those number your normal numbers? First timer?

For example, I have a 02 wrx, I know my normal reading. One day I noticed that my warning lights were flashing! This kept on going for a month. During that time, I did not run my car hard but I kept an eye on the gauge. When I would slow down, my gauge would flash and my oil gauge would go down for a second. This would always occur. One day, I was cleaning my intake!!! Found the intake cone had come off.

Check your readings after a good oil change when the oil is FULL. Use that as a measuring gauge.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

oh ok, i just got the car recently and the numbers just seemed a little low to me, but if that's normal then i guess thats all i needed, thanks!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Well.. 12psi at idle seems a little low to me. I would like to see ~20psi at idle, of course I have a built engine, and I idle at 1,000 rpm.

What oil are you running, and how many miles are on the oil right now? I would think about trying something a little heavier. I don't necessarily think you're in trouble, but personally I wouldn't want to ever see less than 15psi going through my engine at any point.

I Support ClubWRX
    Limits are 14 psi at 800 rpm and 43 psi at 5000 rpm measured with a gauge at the oil pressure switch attachment point to the block for the 2.0L motor.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.