Wrong oil from my dealership?!

This is a discussion on Wrong oil from my dealership?! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I have had a 2011 WRX for about 3 1/2 months now, and about a week and a half ...

Wrong oil from my dealership?!

So, I have had a 2011 WRX for about 3 1/2 months now, and about a week and a half ago I got my first issue of Drive Magazine. As I am flipping through it I came across a page informing us about the oil requirements of Subaru's new vehicles (0w-20 for non-turbo models, and 5w-30 for turbo models). It hits me that on the work summary of my first oil change from the dealership I had seen that they had billed me for the 0w-20 oil. I talk to the dealership, and they contact the tech, who leaves me a voice-mail telling me that he was confident that since the oil fill cap stated 5w-30 right on it that I was simply billed for the wrong oil. As I was only a few hundred miles from my next oil change I decided just to hang onto the original summary and hope all was right.

Today, I was in for my second oil service and soon as I get the summary I checked it and they had billed me for the 0w-20 again! I bring it up immediately and the guy said that they had gotten a bulletin from Subaru stating to use the 0w-20 oil in all new Imprezas. I don't believe it as I have seen such recent literature from Subaru about it. He calls the tech on the spot who is on vacation and didn't know offhand the oil specs for the car.

Unfortunately it was late and I have a sick wife and 2 year old at home, so I didn't make him change it on the spot. He will be calling me tomorrow after speaking with someone who can give him a definite answer.

So, am I right to think that the WRX still gets the 5w-30? Or, has Subaru changed it and I haven't heard yet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    Yes all turbo models (2011's) should be filled with 5w-30 synthetic oil. That oil maybe a little thin at operating temperature to fully protect your turbo engine in extreme conditions. I'm also concerned with the oil shearing after a while to an even thinner oil 10 weight. It shouldn't cause any major issues unless you continuously drive your car hard (constant racing). If I were you I wouldn't drive the car in boost situation (3000+ RPM's) until you have refilled the engine with proper viscosity oil. If you're really concerned you may want to send a sample of your used oil to a lab and get it analyzed for signs of high metal wear.

Either way if your engine decides to take a dump down the road it should be covered by the warranty since its been a major mistake on your dealers part.
    Last edited by KHP; 08-03-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Your dealer is BSing you.It's still 5w-30 & always will be.Do you have a maintenance package?And how often do you change your oil?Is it synthetic?

Why don't you send a copy of your bill to SOA & see what they have to say about it.And show their reply to your dealer.Also remember to mention about your dealer getting the "bulletin".
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I went back in today, and the guy I was dealing with told me that I was right, that the oil should be the 5w-30. Let me know that it shouldn't have done any damage to the car. Which I have not been driving that hard that often, probably no more or less than you would expect from a 27 year old married guy with a kid.
    Anyway, they changed the oil to the proper kind tonight of course free of charge and are not going to charge me for my next service.
    As per your questions, no to the maintenance package, first oil change was at 3400 miles and second was at 7300/7400 miles, and yes required oil use is Subaru issued full synthetic.
    Oh, and he said he found the "bulletin" and said it had to do with the Forester and not the Impreza.

I Support ClubWRX
    BTW oil changes are at 7500 miles for all 2011 turbos FYI.They should have gotten that bulletin as well.You should also have gotten the addendum in the mail.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yeah, I know the oil is good for 7500 miles, but being as it was the first couple I wanted to take extra care of the car. Now though I will probably drive about 6k between changes. Thanks though.