knocking sound from rear left corner

This is a discussion on knocking sound from rear left corner within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Installed MDU coilovers, all was ok. Next day there was a noticeable knocking coming from bumps at slower speeds so ...

knocking sound from rear left corner

Installed MDU coilovers, all was ok. Next day there was a noticeable knocking coming from bumps at slower speeds so I pulled the seats out and checked the top bolts, same with the tire and the 2 19mm bolts at the bottom of the strut (which took a 1/6 turn to tighten). Also checked sway bar and wheel for movement. Everything is done up tight with no play at all yet knocking persists.

Only thing i can think of i left the hats off and the noise could just be normal yet more noticeable now. Also dampers were set rock hard initially and I went for a bumpy ride perhaps damaging something.

Is there anything obvious I should look for?

2001 MY02 Aussie delivered WRX sedan
    mods:
    K&N Typhoon
    Catless up&downpipe
    HKS turbo back
    HKS SSQV
    Perrin endlinks
    MDU coilovers
    Strut brace

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Aloha! Go back and tighten or re-tighten the pillar mounts and the strut shaft nut on those coilovers. Unfortunately the MDU system don't come with instructions. I have a set on my Subby and they work just fine after a lot road test and fine tuning. They're really actually pretty good coilovers compared to a spring and strut set up and you cannot beat the price! A $2k set of coilovers is way too much for me...I have a mortgage and my custom enclosed garage to build! Hah!
    Last edited by 808DHmtb; 08-02-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Here's something else I learned that may help you set up the MDU coilovers: If the ride seems to be bouncing on every bump on initial setup, increase the preload of the spring about 3-4 turns. You may want to also increase the compression adjuster knob by 2 clicks. Remember, initial setup on coilovers with separate preload and ride height adjustment are hand-tighten preload collar then about 2 turns...INITIALLY. You could also count the treads on the shock body but your eyes will go cross...the whole shock body on the MDU's are greased throughout.

If you're hearing a "creeking" noise on the front, especially when turning from a complete stop into a slow turn, the preload is a little too much so back off about 2-3 turns. You may want to adjust compression also to your liking. If your suspension seems to be fine but there's that creaking noise, blast the top and bottom spring seats with lithium grease making sure you avoid overspray on your disc brakes and pads!
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by 808DHmtb; 08-02-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Thanks man, it was all tight but after about a week everything seems to have settled down.